diy solar

diy solar

Would you buy these?!

RadMTguy

Hi,

Just like the title says..

I found somebody selling these batteries locally and was curious if they're worth buying. So, here is what i know..

The batteries are made by KS2 Corp (out of Canada) and the model is L1. There are 3 available, the 4th one went bad and owner replaced them all with different batteries. They're being sold at $475 OBO each. "Like new, always inside, less than 25hrs". The listing says that they hold a charge and they came out of a motorhome. In the listing they put "2019" in the listing. I'm unsure if that's when the batteries were made, taken out of the motorhome, or 2019 was the year for the motorhome itself.

I attached a photo of the specs below.

I'm waiting to hear back regarding:
  • How long ago were they taken out
  • Have they been maintained using a trickle charger every now and then
  • What caused 1 to go bad

I reached out to the manufacture, and i was told they're working on model L4 but it hasn't hit the shelves yet. Here is a link to a brochure i found regarding these batteries http://home.roadtreking.ca/Manuals/FBgroup/KS2 Lithium Battery Guide.pdf

Would you buy these for $475 OBO?

and

If they turn out to be junk.. what are my chances i can service them?

Attachments

• 1615932012253.png
    1615932012253.png
    192 KB · Views: 69
  • 1615932504439.png
    1615932504439.png
    224.6 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Update*

I was told "they were taken out less than a month ago and came out of a Roadtrek RV. The bad battery would not charge to full capacity, and would not reboot due to the computer board being damaged. The remains 3 all hold a charge and reboot perfectly. All systems check out with them and the factory warranty seals have not been broken."

That being said, after some research.. There are (4) 3.2v Prismatic cells inside. Worst case scenario I can take out the cells, keep the box, and replace the BMS with my own?

If they let you capacity test them and they came out at spec I don't think it's a bad deal, maybe a few dollars high. If you don't want them all let me know, I might be interested.....if it's the left coast.

Sounds like an OK Deal. The BMS can be replaced, it's more than likely just a split port FET Based model so an Overkill BMS could slip right in there pretty easily I would think. Split Port is a bit of a PITA though so a little creative wiring to sort that part out.

IF they are indeed 4x200AH Series Packs this is worth the cost for the cells alone pretty much. Worst Case scenario you change all the BMS' or even redo the packs if you want to, but I really like the look of the casings they have. Offer him 425 ea for the LOT including #5 as the BMS can be changed. Negotiate it as he puts OBO. Pickup / Shipping is another matter for you to sort. Shipping can be scary.

Thanks for the input!

Each module has an internal heater that i could probably re-use if I used a different BMS. The only issue I've learned is that the BMS is setup for "Voltstart" which is a common feature in Roadtrek RV's. Here is a 3min video explaining is

This might be an issue and pretty much make the BMS worthless to me. Without even negotiating yet, the price dropped down to $400 each.

They will have a hard time selling these to anyone else with the BMS set up for "voltstart" (which from what i read is propriety to roadtrek rv's).

At this point, i'd be buying them for the 3.2v 200ah cells and the metal case. If i can re-use the BMS, internal heating, or any sensors.. thats a plus

They are a 30 minute drive for me and willing to sell me 1, 2, or all 3 of them

Looked at the video. Volstart is pretty much a GCSM (Generator Control Start Module) but to auto-start the vehicle engine instead of a Genset.
Typically an Inverter will have an AGS (Auto-Gen-Start) Circuit designed for a GCSM to start & stop a genset automatically when charging is required.

It's a 30 Minute Drive - That saves a HEAP of coin on S&H !
Price dropped to 400, so Eager and WON'T LAST.
If it was ME, now, I'd offer 350 ea for all 3 but would pay 400 if I "had to".
Scrap all the BMS' and put in a respectable BMS in each pack, as mentioned above.
Battery warmers, pending on how they are setup, I'd likely keep them too. *

* There are different types, I would only use the type that draws from the main battery pack terminals with a settable thermostatic control so it only comes on 45°F and off at 55°F. But I am in Northern Canada, so....

Thank you!

You make valid points. My plan is to show up wanting to only buy 2, offer $350 each.. and on the way out offer $100 to take the last one of their hands lol.

I've been playing on buying from china, but delivery times just keep getting extended! So this probably my best bet

I did forget to ask....this USD or Cad
It seems from the literature the BMS they use has a contactor for disconnect.
I would take the dead one for free if it was offered as well, cells may be fine.

Even in USD, the cells are worth more than that easily. Worst Case scenario you build all new packs with the cells.
I am not a big "chance" taker because I am a frugal & miserly ol' Curmudgeon but I'd take the shot on this.
But with ANYTHING that has been previously enjoyed, there is always a certain amount of risk and ONLY you the buyer can determine IF that risk is worth taking, and as such, you the buyer has to accept the responsibility for that decision and any consequences thereof. TWO things that are Heresy in the 21st Century, or so it seems.

I have two KS2 lithium batteries - one seems to be defective. I am looking for a good used unit. These are Revision H, 200Ah.

Back