diy solar

diy solar

Would you recommend grid tied solar to your friends?

Would you recommend grid tied solar to your friends?

• Yes

Votes: 12 23.5%
  • Yes, but under $2/W installed

Votes: 8 15.7%
  • DIY only

Votes: 15 29.4%
  • No, to much hassle with Net-Zero in 30 years

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • No

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Other, see post below...

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • Off Grid (homes, campers, conversions, emergency power backup)

Votes: 21 41.2%
  • Not in CA in NEMs 3.0 is enacted

Votes: 2 3.9%

• Total voters
So what would be the current retail cost of an LG panel in the 370ish watt size for you
No idea. I'm never likely to need to buy an LG panel and have no idea who would sell them retail to end users. By and large such things are bought from wholesalers by solar installers. A premium grid tied solar PV system fully installed with LG Neon panels and top level inverter is going to be ~US$1/W or so.

DIYers tend to use second hand panels or buy from off-grid supply companies if they want new. I picked up some 370W Longis for US$0.25/W but you can get used panels pretty cheap (often near to free) because by and large they are not permitted to be reused for grid tied systems. All new systems or system upgrades are required to meet the current standards, including the panels which need to be on the current CEC list (and older models drop off the list after a few years). So older systems getting upgraded essentially have little to no second hand value.

California, the only thing I'm aware of that isn't allowed DIY is drilling a well (but dewatering points driven into a hillside are OK.)
I've also read that a licensed general building contractor isn't allowed to install a fire sprinkler.
And then I read he isn't allowed to install the front door lock (but after the locksmith does, GC can distribute keys to workers?)
I'm not clear if DIY fire sprinkler is allowed.

Replacement of utility panel, final connection of PV system to panel, etc. can all be DIY. City permit office just has you sign documents acknowledging you're really doing it as owner-builder, not getting the permit to allow an unlicensed "contractor" to do work he isn't authorized to do. Also, that you will have to get workers compensation insurance if you have employees do the work.

I don't think second-hand equipment is prohibited for grid-tie. But it needs to be UL listed, and new installs have to comply with latest codes (e.g. UL-1741-SA), while equipment swaps of existing systems only need to meet what had been in effect originally.

Back