diy solar

diy solar

WWWS (what would Will Say) EG4 vs SOK server rack battery

So, i spoke with Current Connected and they say the SOK battery is not supported in a closed loop configuration with the Sunny Island. I pointed them to the video in this thread, and they immediately removed the video. What's up with that? If SOK is not the battery to go with, what reasonably priced alternatives exist?

Video has been down for about 2 months now (unlisted).

We can’t guarantee it to work reliably. 2 separate users have reported that the inverter doesn’t respond to the end of charging command the battery sends, continues charging, and when the BMS trips on over-voltage the inverter continues to charge leading to an over-voltage shutdown.

We tested on a unit we purchased for our shop and couldn’t re-create, but after firmware updates on the customer units and lots of troubleshooting we could not pinpoint the problem…So for the time being we aren’t claiming any further support if it’s going to give customers issues.

The battery does communicate with the inverter and shares the SOC% values, but when using AC input to charge the battery is where the issues arise. If you don’t plan to do AC charging or bring the batteries to 100% full, then I don’t anticipate problems, but it's certainly not a flawless solution.

The real kicker is when we've attempted to resolve this issue with SMA, they just say "It's not a supported battery", and send us on our way.

@HighTechLab Can the SOK server rack batteries be mounted on their sides (or back), or will that damage the cells? Wondering if an alternative mounting might work well for the setup I am working towards. (It would at least save me a lot on the server rack.)

@HighTechLab Can the SOK server rack batteries be mounted on their sides (or back), or will that damage the cells? Wondering if an alternative mounting might work well for the setup I am working towards. (It would at least save me a lot on the server rack.)
Anything but upside down is OK.

So, i spoke with Current Connected and they say the SOK battery is not supported in a closed loop configuration with the Sunny Island. I pointed them to the video in this thread, and they immediately removed the video. What's up with that? If SOK is not the battery to go with, what reasonably priced alternatives exist?
Lol. I noticed the video was down and called them on Monday too.

I guess the solution is to use a 50 amp shunt (Midnight solar here?) and have the Sunny Islands set to one of the lead-acid battery settings with manual configuration. Sound about right? @toms @MurphyGuy @Hedges @HighTechLab

It might be better this way anyway...the ability to use other batteries in 20 years without making sure they talk directly to SMA firmware...which may be a generation or three into future products at that point. Give up some plug n play now for future compatibility. I was leaning toward installing this as a backup even when we thought the SOCs would be plug n play.

Last edited:
The problem is that if you configure these as VRLA batteries, there is not much manual configuration you can do. For instance, you cannot set the disconnect voltage. Hence you're stuck with using SIs SOC readings which are not going to be accurate. I also experimented with SI's "other" battery setting, which gives you the option of full manual configuration, but I'm getting F141 errors when I do that ("Malfunction Inverter Voltage Low").

The problem is that if you configure these as VRLA batteries, there is not much manual configuration you can do. For instance, you cannot set the disconnect voltage. Hence you're stuck with using SIs SOC readings which are not going to be accurate. I also experimented with SI's "other" battery setting, which gives you the option of full manual configuration, but I'm getting F141 errors when I do that ("Malfunction Inverter Voltage Low").
Well crud. Makes me almost wish that I hadn't gone with SMA. I have two Sunny Islands in boxes (bought about five months ago) with plans to buy two more Sunny Islands plus three Sunny Boys (I have 60 370 watt panels). I was gonna go Outback due to good luck with older Trace and Outback 24 volt systems. Was trying to find the highest quality and most robust system with less of an eye on price.

Might just sell my two Sunny Islands and go with Victron and go back to DC coupled which I understand more so how it works (and how it's all connected). SMA seems to want to communicate in generalities and keep their echo system too closed. Trying to power two houses, a pool house (with pumps only going during the day), a business location with 2-7 employees, and a personal use wood/auto/tractor shop all off grid via a central "powershed." Not everything would be going at once of course, but I need modularity, expandability, and simplicity (as much as can be hoped for). Price is less of a factor (within reason).

Might just sell my two Sunny Islands and go with Victron and go back to DC coupled which I understand more so how it works (and how it's all connected). SMA seems to want to communicate in generalities and keep their echo system too closed. Trying to power two houses, a pool house (with pumps only going during the day), a business location with 2-7 employees, and a personal use wood/auto/tractor shop all off grid via a central "powershed." Not everything would be going at once of course, but I need modularity, expandability, and simplicity (as much as can be hoped for). Price is less of a factor (within reason).
I think the biggest issue with SI is their horrible customer support. It takes them weeks to answer a request, and they will not help with configuring a battery that is not on their approved list.

Well crud. Makes me almost wish that I hadn't gone with SMA. I have two Sunny Islands in boxes (bought about five months ago) with plans to buy two more Sunny Islands plus three Sunny Boys (I have 60 370 watt panels). I was gonna go Outback due to good luck with older Trace and Outback 24 volt systems. Was trying to find the highest quality and most robust system with less of an eye on price.

The SMA is a far superior product in almost every way except for features.. It is superior in all the ways that really count, you just need to figure out how to work with them.

I would contact REC BMS and Batrium, these are BMS manufacturers that are compatible with Sunny Island's.. You need something to monitor the EG4 (or any other lithium system) and communicate with the Sunny Islands, and both REC and Batrium can do that. They will even allow you to set the top and bottom cut offs to extend battery life.
I have a REC BMS on my own system but I think I might look into Batrium next just to expand my experiences. Nothing wrong with REC though.

Can I buy a preconfigured 48V battery pack that comes with a REC or Batrium BMS? I don’t really want to mess with making my own batteries.

Also while SMA might be a superior product, their customer service is horrible. It takes them weeks to reply to a question and the replies are mostly not helpful.

@HighTechLab

First, thanks for participating in this thread. I’ve got 4 SOK rack batteries waiting for install this fall.

Looking at all the issues with so many brands. Especially disappointed that the SMA stuff is so problematic.

From your website, it looks like you are leaning into Victron systems as a dealer. Would that be your recommendation for an off-grid system?

It sounds like Victron is the least problematic but requires good dealer support, otherwise support is non-existant.

Well one new monkey wrench in this is SOK has raised the price of their server rack battery. According to their website it is now 2k ($1989.99). With a $500 difference between it and the EG4, despite the fact it has a better build and features in some ways that realy changes the complextion of things.

Well one new monkey wrench in this is SOK has raised the price of their server rack battery. According to their website it is now 2k ($1989.99). With a $500 difference between it and the EG4, despite the fact it has a better build and features in some ways that realy changes the complextion of things.
Especially since its UL is still pending.

Good thing is it makes the Trophy 48Vx220Ah moster much more attractive as well.

Where are you seeing that?
I am looking at the website now and it is still $1789.99

EG4 is 2 product lines:

-LifePower4
This is the value version, 30kwh =$8999
-the same 7000 cycles @80% DOD @5hour discharge rate,
-the same 200W pre charge capacitor for starting heavy inverters
-the BMS comms with Growatt (Others being vetted for full compatibility assurance)
-5 year warranty assures no-lemon experience on packs, our almost 40,000 pack experience has validated our quality build on the BMS and internal components.
-EG4LL
This takes a Pro approach to compare with older brands of lifepo4 30kwh =$10494
-7000 cycles @80% DOD @5hour discharge rate,
-the BMS comms with Growatt (Others being vetted for full compatibility assurance)
-200W pre charge capacitor for starting heavy inverters
-10 year warranty backed and based out of Texas with a full time staff and shop that you can call any day of the week 8-5

There are very little differences in the quality of build or frankly any attribute of the SOK vs our packs, this gear was out there, we vetted it and brought it to market to better serve our clients.
The one difference we see in the SOK is the bolting of cells, we have been down this road but as we scaled we had the factories adjust to welded connections because the reliability of resistance is superior to a bolted connection over the lifecycle in many environments that do not have perfect climate regulation, Welded connections also allow for use in RV and transport because vibrations were too risky for bolted cells.
the last bolted EG4s shipped in early 2021, we have been lucky overall so far but determined the welded assembly change was going to make sense over time as we service the warranty.

-With the LifePower4 brand we allow you to get a value price on the same gear taking the 5 year warranty approach.
-If the longer warranty matters to you the EG4LL models have an LCD on each as a perk and we think that given the fact that all the warranty profit goes to an American based company you can be more assured of the promise made at time of sale will be kept.
-Our warranty is a full replacement for either model during the period.

SOK did make the right move as a Chinese company to partner with an American company, Current Connected is doing a good job for them. I think our business model puts more of the value in the hands of Americans and make more design and support jobs here vs padding excess Chinese pockets. I would think that a current connected brand going direct may accomplish this but that is their business model to manage.

I asked the sales team in a meeting last week, we do not honestly hear about the SOK battery that often, the market is so big for a value priced solid lithium pack. What I can tell you guys is that if you choose us we will stand behind your packs and make more jobs here in the USA in doing so.

-James
James, thank you for the details post. as the OP this was very helpful in making my decision. Since you still offer a 12v/400A version of the EG4 that seems to be the path of least resistance for me. If I were starting out I would go 48v all the way but since my new I/C is 12v and I already have 2 100A LFP batteries this will make the upgrade the least complicated. That is unless I find a compelling reason to go a different way.

Yep I hit into that same wall. I had already bought a Sunny Boy and was in the process of getting the rest of the equipment and bailed out due to the vague and complex nature of the install.
I went with Sol-Ark instead and I am so happy I did. It's just so much simpler to setup and has a lot more features.
SMA stuff is probably the most robust systems on the Market but they are so complex to setup and the customer support is not geared at all towards DIY.

Back