diy solar

diy solar

Xantrex Battery type settings hack

iRondo

My castle, a boat; The ocean, my moat
As stated in another thread, I am switching out a lead acid bank gone bad for a LFP drop-in battery. My existing Xantrex Truecharge 60a charger does not have a lithium setting. I am curious if there's a way I can get into the settings to set the bulk/absorb/float voltages myself.

Thanks

14.2-14.6V absorption
1 hour or less absorption period
13.6V float

If it has equalization (most don't in the strictest definition of the word as it will kill AGM or Gel batteries too), set to absorption voltage, disable it or set it to 0 time.

Screenshot_20220531-180427_Office.jpg

Screenshot_20220531-180527_Office.jpg

I was looking into this too. The manual says no. I did a big search for software but couldn't find any online anywhere.

You could try Xantrex or a dealer to see if they will programme for you.

If not then your only options are the existing choices for battery type and for 2 or 3 stage.

Screenshot_20220531-175623_Office.jpg

You cant disable equalisation so your best choice is AGM which is not great.

Someone else on this forum mentioned using a programmable DC-DC charger between the TC2 and the battery.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220617-153410_Office.jpg
    Screenshot_20220617-153410_Office.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 4
Hey, thanks for the most excellent response! Yes, I knew that I had read somewhere that the custom setting was programmable and I emailed Xantrex about it. In their reply they asked me to call tech support. When I called tech support the guy brushed me off and said that it was not possible and hung up. Maybe I'll try calling again and hopefully get someone else.
I'll look further into the idea with the B2B, that's interesting.
I'll call Xantrex today and post their next response. lol

Thanks again

No worries. Ateast their ability to change the settings is stated in their own manual so now you know more than their tech support does ?

No answer at tech support so I emailed them a screen shot of the pertinent part of the page.
Also, I'm thinking that having my my solar panels/Victron MPPT controller feeding into the battery should mitigate any negative effect of the AGM setpoints as they would complete the charge. We are not normally plugged into shore power so the only time the TC2 is actually on is when we have to use our portable generator.
The only other issue would then be my Balmar ARS-5 regulator but at least I can reconfigure the setpoints for that. Then I would add a small, inexpensive lead acid charger for my start and windlass batteries and be done.

I had not thought about MPPT finishing the charge at proper set point. Cool.

I am new to using forums. Hopefully this link works. It has DC-DC charger mentioned. Same person also advises running your TC2 at 80% to avoid failure. I bought mine in 2012 but since then I see a lot of negative reviews on Amazon about failures so running them at 80% makes a lot of sense.

For me I am still at the planning stage for a big bank of Lifepo4 and many months away from buying them. Using gel sealed lead acid for now.

Yes, I have a DC-DC charger between the FLA and LFP banks so one thing I do have is options. I just want to do this as inexpensively as possible. It seems like no matter which option I am considering there is still something to buy. lol

Back