diy solar

diy solar

Xantrex Digital Echo Charger with LifeP04 batteries

Off-Grid Sailboat

Upgrading my FLA set-up to all LifePo4. House bank, starting battery, and windlass battery. All of it. I currently have two Xantrex digital echo chargers that charge the start and windlass batteries when/if needed off of the house bank when it has extra to give. In the switch to LifePo4, I'm also upgrading my inverter/charger to a Victron Muli-Plus II, new Balmar MC-618 voltage regulator, and a new 160A alternator. Already have 340W solar into a Victron MPPT controller. My question is this: will the echo chargers work well with this new system? I would figure since all batteries will be the same (LifePo4), the charge profile will be friendly across all three banks. Yes? Any solid know-how on this is much appreciated.

Make absolutely certain your choice of LFP batteries can handle the surge currents of your starter and windlass.

Assuming 12V, if the echo chargers absorp at 14.2-14.4 and float at 13.6 or below, they should work fine.

I think you will have an issue due to the xantrex closed system of charge profile and on off pattern for charging as they are for LA batteries. unless it is programable , mine is not.

Echo charger works very poorly for charging LFP. I Drove all the way from Cpe Breton Island NS to NH and the single 100Ah LFP battery never made it above 62% SoC.. Swapped it it for a Sterling Power Pro Batt Ultra DC to DC charger and problem solved.

Last edited:
Back