diy solar

diy solar

Xantrex Prosine 2.0 - use as a LiFEPO4 Charger

sshibly

Solar Enthusiast
I picked this up from a buddy un-used in box from many years back.
He bought it off an ebay outlet selling the Xantrex Refurb units around 10 years back.

I will probably have to pay him in smoked fish for the unit.

Going through the manual (holi moli, that thing is thicker than my 400/800 course text from college), I found that this unit can charge:

Max Amp Charge Rate = 100A @ 12v

Wow, I mean wow, that is a 1200w of charging power.

What caught my eye was the ability to:
1. PICK a charge preset setting
2. Option #3 AGM seems to be a good fit, I have attached Page C-3 from the manual

Questions:

1. Looks like Xantrex allows a user to set voltages for each stage and then the charging current

Can I set it this unit to have a 0v float voltage?

Thanks,

Attachments

• xantrex_prosine_20_charging_algorithms.pdf
    18.5 KB · Views: 39
  • prosine.jpg
    prosine.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 17
Older Xantrex equipment is good stuff. If you can get the charge profile set to acceptable levels for LiFePO4 you're all set.

My Xantrex 1000 watt ProWatt inverter (no charger) has been great.

Older Xantrex equipment is good stuff. If you can get the charge profile set to acceptable levels for LiFePO4 you're all set.

My Xantrex 1000 watt ProWatt inverter (no charger) has been great.
I need to connect the A/C leads for shore power and the remote panel to play with it.

Older Xantrex = good? I read about quality issues from the vintage this is from, hence the large quantity of refurbs.
The unit is TOO big for my current needs, but I might have to buy more batteries to use this unit.

I need to connect the A/C leads for shore power and the remote panel to play with it.

Older Xantrex = good? I read about quality issues from the vintage this is from, hence the large quantity of refurbs.
The unit is TOO big for my current needs, but I might have to buy more batteries to use this unit.

I don't know the era of your unit. Mine is a good 15 years old.

Mine is old enough that when I asked about it they couldn't find the serial number. It took a while but I tracked down an electronic copy of the manual. I have the original paper copy of the owner's manual around here somewhere, but haven't seen it in a couple years. :(

The remote on/off panel for mine may be toast. I need to take it apart and verify the connection. That part is still available, but maybe not from Xantrex.

The xantrex dude was nice, they are just south of me in Elkhart, I pass by them on my way to my clubs summer meet.
He warned me of using OLD electronics that has been sitting,

Yeah, those panels are interchangeable. I am sure you can find one.

So I’m also wondering if I can charge lithium batteries with the xantrex2.0
Anyone doing this??
Thanks

Be sure to DISABLE temperature compensation for LFP. Not sure if just removing the accessory probe will actually do that.

If you can't disable it, but you CAN alter the coefficient, you might try changing it from the default of 27mv/degC to simply ZERO 0mv/degC to fake it out and not do any temp-comp.

I skimmed through the manual and saw these specs - maybe owners can find out if either of these two temperature option settings can be changed to better work with LFP.

I spoke to Xantrex today and they told me to change the parameters for the 3 stages of charging under the user profile to match the batteries I select and as far as temperature compensation to disconnect the sensor at the batter.
Thanks again.
Hope this helps someone else.

So I’m also wondering if I can charge lithium batteries with the xantrex2.0
Anyone doing this??
Thanks
Yes, it can be done, nice timing.

Today, I picked up a different 3 stage charger that has a variable VOLTAGE control

vBoost - vFloat = 0.8v

To charge my LIFEPO4 cells I would set the vBoost to 13.6v and my vFloat will be 12.8v

The charging algorithm I posted above has line 18, that should be a good one
Bulk/Boost = 14.2
Float = 13-2

Yes, it can be done, nice timing.

Today, I picked up a different 3 stage charger that has a variable VOLTAGE control

vBoost - vFloat = 0.8v

To charge my LIFEPO4 cells I would set the vBoost to 13.6v and my vFloat will be 12.8v

The charging algorithm I posted above has line 18, that should be a good one
Bulk/Boost = 14.2
Float = 13-2
Hi, can you explain how you connect this to charge LIFEPO4 batteries from the Xantrex ProSine 2.5? Their site says flooded/gel only. Thx.

Hi, can you explain how you connect this to charge LIFEPO4 batteries from the Xantrex ProSine 2.5? Their site says flooded/gel only. Thx.
Sure, Pls look at the PDF in post #1, l

1. In xantrex pick preset charge Algorithm 18, make sure in YOUR unit it matches the voltage for each stage, basically you want a low FLOAT voltage. 13.2 will be fine.

Done that's all there is to it.

Make sure you monitor the charge cycle the first time and confirm the voltages.

Back