diy solar

diy solar

Xantrex SCP with Schneider I/C

FullMoonSolar

Hello All,

I haven't posted in awhile so straighten me out if I violate any protocol.

I have a Xantrex Freedom 3024 Inverter with a good Lifeline AGM 24VDC battery system. It's been working fine for a long time and I have no complaints with how it manages the DC loads and the 110VAC. The battery life should be another 2 to 4 years (Feb 2020 manufacture date).

However, I am adding a larger battery system and have decided to leave the Xantrex system in tact to handle the DC loads for the life of the batteries, but remove the AC load. I am adding a larger Schneider XW Pro Inverter/Charger to manage a 48VDC LiFePO4 system to handle the AC, including some of the 240VAC that was not managed by the 3024 (cooktop, HVAC). It is totally independent having no common terminations with the 24V system of course.

I was wondering if anyone has experience connecting Schneider xanbus equipment to the Xantrex xanbus netowrk. I know the manual says "no" but my supplier is telling me that some of the Schneider settings can be monitored on the Xantrex xanbus.

My purpose is only to monitor the system when I am on site. Config can be handled via the InsightHome that I am installing. The 2nd part of the question is if the Xantrex will communicate via the Insight Home - wouldn't that be nice.

I will test it in the next couple weeks prior to connecting any power sources and get back to those interested but if anyone has already done so, please share.

Thank you

Aside from the known incompatibility of the SCP with the XW Pro registers, you might have problems with two battery/inverter Xanbus connections on one bus - This would be tricky given that they might have differing ground potentials that could throw the Xanbus out of whack. The Xanbus software is also probably not designed for this application case as well. It's probably not worth risking smoking your gear for the minor convenience of the remote monitoring. I'd just let the two systems coexist in the same general area and get on with their purpose of providing power.

Back