diy solar

diy solar

Xantrex SW2012 Charger Programming

kwgrant

Hello,
I'm having trouble programming my Xantrex Freedom SW2012 charger for lithium batteries.

It won't stay in bulk mode very long even though the battery voltage is well below my setpoint. It will then go into absorb mode for as long as I have the timer set for.

I've read through the book a few times, and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I even reset the unit to default settings and started over.

I emailed Xantrex support. While I'm waiting for a reply, I was wondering if anybody here has any ideas.

Thanks!

Last night I charged the batteries. I set the absorb time to 4 hours so the charger wouldn't shutdown prematurely. I kept on eye on things when I enabled the charger. Bulk mode only lasted a minute or so, then it went into absorb. After about 2 hours at 50amps (this is the highest amperage I can charge at with my generator), the voltage reached my setpoint (14.6v), and the amperage started tapering down to zero. Then the charger shut off.

I called Xantrex customer support. We went through all the settings. I shared what is happening during my charge cycle. He couldn't explain to me why it's not staying in bulk mode even though the voltage is below the setpoint.

I think this is how it should work according to the manual. Charger should stay in bulk until the voltage setpoint is reached, then go to absorb for a set period of time, then go to float or turn off if float is disabled.

But besides the display not jiving with what's really happening, the battery's seem to charge fine.

I am trying to charge Lifepo4 batteries with a Freedom SW 2012. I am curious if you were able to figure out the settings. I get the constant current, but the batteries want to charge at 14.6V and the charger seems to vary voltage with constant current. Is there a way to get the charger to output 14.6V 50A for charging?

I am trying to charge Lifepo4 batteries with a Freedom SW 2012. I am curious if you were able to figure out the settings. I get the constant current, but the batteries want to charge at 14.6V and the charger seems to vary voltage with constant current. Is there a way to get the charger to output 14.6V 50A for charging?
During the constant current phase the charger controls the current flow by adjusting it's voltage relative to the battery voltage.
Constant voltage phase begins when the battery no longer draws the rated current.

Back