diy solar

diy solar

XT connectors - does the female go on the appliance or power supply

BigCharlie

Is there a standard practice or convention?

I was shopping for an XT-60 splitter -- I want a 12v extension cord with two ends. Some are one male to two females some are one female to two males.

One male to two females sounds like the way to go, IMHO. It seems to me like a 110 VAC wall outlet, the female should be attached to the source and the male on the device. Correct?

I was surprised to see both for sale.

Last edited:
I’m not sure that there is a standard I’m going to end up using the male as the supply Since male is the only configuration I can use as a outlet. It may be intended as an inlet for a device though.

I do not know if there is a standard for XT, but the rule of thumb for all plug types is that when something is unplugged you do not want the 'hot' prongs exposed. This will typically mean the female with the protected contacts is on the hot side(Power supply) and the male with the exposed contacts is on the load side. The XT plugs have somewhat protected prongs on the male side, but they are still far more exposed than on the female side.

Is there a standard practice or convention?

I was shopping for an XT-60 splitter -- I want a 12v extension cord with two ends. Some are one male to two females some are one female to two males.

One male to two females sounds like the way to go, IMHO. It seems to me like a 110 VAC wall outlet, the female should be attached to the source and the male on the device. Correct?

I was surprised to see both for sale.
You can buy Li-ion batteries with these connectors, so I used the battery is my rule of thumb.

Back