diy solar

diy solar

Xuba Electronics: DEAL - 280AH LiFePo4 cells. Purchase & Review

i'm sorry but this thread devolved into something utterly useless. Who the hell needs 30 pages of bickering over how to tighten bolts on a battery? Seriously just how does that aid in the a meaningful discussion of the batteries themselves? It's nuts how burried some get in the minutia just to try and be "right"...fuck this shit it actually harms the whole point of these forums. Put it in it's own thread somewhere and that would be great. Right now any questions about the batteries gets buried by the incessant bickering over a pretty inconsequential sub-topic. This thread has become unreadable.

Many moons ago, this thread became the defacto catch-all for basically any topic related to this seller or these cells. Its atrociously difficult to go back and find anything specific, as a static resource, saying its 'not great' is an understatement. Its value is as a rolling conversation and ongoing discussion and place to ask questions or share feedback (even though this was probably not at all the original intent, its hard to control such things on a forum). Forums definitely have their shortcomings in terms of information management/organization, but they have their advantages too.

Do you have a specific question or comment, or just giving your 2c / venting?

I will put in my 2 cents. Forum threads get derailed all the time. There is no way to prevent it unless the OP asks to stay on topic and then those of us that are guilty try to comply. I don't think the OP @Steve_S is promoting Xuba any more and much has changed in the past few months.

Having said that I am happy there is discussion in this thread as well as the other threads regarding bolt/nut torque. It was recently discovered many of us were using too much torque and as a result were stripping the cells terminals. I think it's very important for new forum members to be aware of this and all the other aspects of these cells, and this discussion does apply to the cells themselves.

In a perfect world each forum thread would have it's own topic and everyone would stay with the topic. It's not going to happen, not on this forum. I give kudos to the moderators for doing the best they can moving completely off topic posts to their proper threads and so on.

If @Steve_S comes along and requests something I will respect his wishes. I always have and have always respected any other forum member that starts a new thread and asks to remain on topic.

In the upper half? Absolutely. I thought that was a given. I have a glut of PC fans floating about. I've build enough computers that my friends tell me I'm a bit of a cooling fetishist. :p

I was actually thinking a positive pressure push pull set up through dust filters to keep the dust bunnies at bay. Dig up one of my old 3.5 inch bay PC fan controllers and hook a trio of fans up. Two in, one out. That way on cold days I can turn them off and use the output to help warm the cells, and on hot days jack them to full to give it lots of glorious airflow...

if anyone is looking for good fans for cooling custom boxes, I'd suggest arctic cooling. Their fans are quite quiet and you can by a 5 pack for a reasonable amount.
I’m building my battery and setup now, and plan to have it live under the bed in my living space, so want to use ducting present to vent the batteries and avoid any heat or emission issues. I plan to put in a 12v fan to pull from the battery housing box, but don’t want it to run 24/7.

Any timer setup that you can recommend to have it run for 5 minutes every 15 mins (adjustable timeframes) ?

I’m building my battery and setup now, and plan to have it live under the bed in my living space, so want to use ducting present to vent the batteries and avoid any heat or emission issues. I plan to put in a 12v fan to pull from the battery housing box, but don’t want it to run 24/7.

Any timer setup that you can recommend to have it run for 5 minutes every 15 mins (adjustable timeframes) ?

Why wouldn't you set up a thermostat to engage a fan based on temperature?

Reactions: Dzl
Why wouldn't you set up a thermostat to engage a fan based on temperature?
+1 for the thermostat solution (or maybe timer and thermostat in series)

Much of the time (depending on climate, etc) heat will not be an issue at all, in fact it could be an asset. Temperature seems a better variable than time to control the fan.

Newton is a unit of force but it is a little more difficult to conceptualize than the pound.

Because we think of a pound in terms of how hard gravity pulls on something that weighs one pound. It is something that we experience every day. The newton is defined in terms of inertia, how much force it takes to cause something to change speed.

So the actual definition of a newton is:
1 Newton is equal to the amount of force required to accelerate a mass of 1 kilogram at a rate of 1 meter per second, every second.

But since we know the Earth's gravity accelerates objects at a rate of 9.8 meters per second per second, you can visualize newtons in kind of the same way as a pound. So the feeling of a 1 kilogram weight being pulled towards earth is 9.8 newtons of force.
I was always taught that a newton is the weight of a small apple. (The apocryphal tale of Newton "discovering" gravity under an apple tree)

I was always taught that a newton is the weight of a small apple. (The apocryphal tale of Newton "discovering" gravity under an apple tree)

I prefer (Fig) Newtons. THAT I can understand.

fig-newton-recipe-12.jpg

+1 for the thermostat solution (or maybe timer and thermostat in series)

Much of the time (depending on climate, etc) heat will not be an issue at all, in fact it could be an asset. Temperature seems a better variable than time to control the fan.
I’m not concerned about the temp, more about battery emissions (hydrogen gas buildup). I already have a heating strip that will engage at 46 degrees, so no extreme chill concerns.

I’m not concerned about the temp, more about battery emissions (hydrogen gas buildup)
I am under the impression that this is not a concern with LiFePO4 until catastrophic failure/venting occurs. Do you have a different understanding? Or are you just worried about a catastrophic failure situation?

I’m not concerned about the temp, more about battery emissions (hydrogen gas buildup). I already have a heating strip that will engage at 46 degrees, so no extreme chill concerns.

If you're talking lead acid batteries then you're posting in the wrong thread. This is all about LiFePO4 batteries.

I am under the impression that this is not a concern with LiFePO4 until catastrophic failure/venting occurs. Do you have a different understanding? Or are you just worried about a catastrophic failure situation?
My RV repair and info guru advised that, while manufacturers claim there isn’t any gas given off, his mentor/instructors showed a closed box with lithium batteries in, and lit a match- Flash of hydrogen burning.
I don’t feel like being a statistic.
- I also wanted to apply it to setting a fan up for other timed purposes, so it will cover a few bases to know how to set up a 12v fan on a timer function.

LFP batteries do not emit any hydrogen. In fact I am not sure they even emit hydrogen when the electrolyte breaks down, I would need to review some literature. The electrolyte doesn't contain water, its actually a hydrocarbon, and C-H bonds do not readily break except to form H20 and C02. I suspect your guru is confused.

I have seen lead and some types of nickel batteries, including valve regulated, ones give off hydrogen under the right circumstances. It is however very difficult to get hydrogen to build up to explosive levels in anything other than a completely sealed enclosure. The stuff is super light, and dissipates rapidly.

Given that these prismatics have a metal casing with a rupture disk, any vapor leaving the cell is pretty much a non issue.

If you are really concerned rent a hydrogen detector, and put it under a plastic tarp with some charging lithium batteries... I can 100% guarantee it won't detect any.

Last edited:
If the electrolyte contacts with water, it will generate detrimental hydrogen fluoride.

It looks like the electrolyte in that cell is a hydroflurocarbon. So hydrogen fluoride can be produced if the electrolyte gets very hot (probably over 450F), or if it comes in contact with water.

Hydrogen fluoride is not flammable, but can release hydrogen if it reacts with certain metals like iron.

It looks like the electrolyte in that cell is a hydroflurocarbon. So hydrogen fluoride can be produced if the electrolyte gets very hot (probably over 450F), or if it comes in contact with water.

Hydrogen fluoride is not flammable, but can release hydrogen if it reacts with certain metals like iron.
The info is all appreciated, in support of consideration, or feeling the vent is overkill.
I am looking to set the fan up for the battery (Just in case- rather safe than sorry), and for another airflow need I the rig.

Does anyone have any 12v cooling fan timer function setups that they can recommend (either you agree with my usage or otherwise) ?
Thanks

The info is all appreciated, in support of consideration, or feeling the vent is overkill.
I am looking to set the fan up for the battery (Just in case- rather safe than sorry), and for another airflow need I the rig.

Does anyone have any 12v cooling fan timer function setups that they can recommend (either you agree with my usage or otherwise) ?
Thanks
No harm in overkill and/or just-in-case planning regardless of what's right or wrong. I do not know of a timer that meets yours needs but I suspect there are many.

Back