diy solar

diy solar

XWBF17 cells, Tracer AN2110 and User or Flooded setting

NeilP

Pictured below are the cells I have in my 180 watt two pane setup in my camping area.
Old cells yes, but surviving, they work at least.
They were actually new cells that were never used and kept on a constant monitored float regime at my work, as spares for aircraft tug. But they were never used, and new management wanted rid of them. I volunteered to 'dump' them for them :) about 4-5 years ago.

I have them set as two banks of 6s3p.
I did think of going to 24 volt..but the panels I had, and the inverter, were all for 12 volt system and they were all free. This is a budget shoestring system, built with mainly donated/ scrounged kit.

If I am reading the table of the cell specification correctly, each cell is 640 Ah ?
Or is it ''only 80? I am assuming the 80 is per plate..and each cell is 8 plates... so I have 3840 Ah capacity :)

Even when dead I'll get good many in scrap for them to buy a few new cells for my very merge needs..a few LED lights, and an inverter to run some Sonos speakers, and a WiFi Access point in my camogin area.

But apart from me showing off :) I do have a serious question.

This controller, the AN tracer. Its flooded voltage charge settings, they do seem a bit high to me.

I am awaiting a cable to change the settings in the User Cell option, as this cannot be done from the two button interface panel. I was going to drop the voltages down a bit.

Maybe drop the float down to 13.6 and the boost to 13.8, equalising at 14 and each of the others jsut 0.1 above..as then need to be higher.

I have plenty of capacity, and for my meagre needs getting absolute max charge in to them is not necessary.

Being too cautious? is it a bad idea, do I need the 14.8 equalising Charge regime to keep the batteries healthy?

Attachments

• XWBF battery.jpg
    XWBF battery.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5324.JPG
    IMG_5324.JPG
    310.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Tracer AN2210.jpg
    Tracer AN2210.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Back