diy solar

diy solar

Y connectors question

Tbleppy

Hello! I am installing 12 panels with a 3s4p configuration. Im skipping the combiner box and using inline fuses with y connectors. I noticed the y connectors have two + symbols at the top of y where they combine. At the bottom is one - symbol. Can anyone explain what this means please? Also, can a Y connector attach to another Y connector? I was drawing up the schematic and it looked like a good idea but upon looking at the parts it does not look possible to do. It has to attach to an mc4 connector run some wire than another mc4 connector, than another y connector. Thats what it looks like. Can anyone confirm that to be true? When I use a y connector to connect two + strings in parallel it will still be a + connection at the bottom despite the - symbol, right? And vice versa. Im assuming yes but there arent directions that come with the product. Id rather be safe than sorry and get a confirmation on that. Thanks!

Yes.

You can split and join with the 2 sets of the Y
(The 2 Y top can be joined, as it's one side + other side -)

It doesn't matter that much.
Sometimes people get mixed up with the + and - and use a - MC4 on a + cable :)

As long as you remember why goes where at the end...
No issues.

There are 3 way Y who work just as wel as 2 * 2 way Y.
IMG_20210518_134413_copy_750x1000.jpg

2x 2 way Y just makes the cable (possible) a bit longer for one set.

For your amount of panels, assuming they are around 400w or less, it's not a problem.

Connecting higher amperages a combiner box is advicable!!

If you have four parallel strings, use a four into one connector.

Don't forget to use a fuse on each parallel string and make sure the combined amps don't exceed the MC4 rating.

Just remember in any solar build, your multimeter is your friend. You will be able to find the positive and negative cables on the solar panel. They should be labeled correctly, but checking is a must. Fron there all positive cables to one Y cable, and all negative cables to one Y cable. Again measure once connected with a multineter to make sure voltage matches and the polarity is the same. Then run positive Y cable to Positive SCC, and negative Y cable to Nagative SCC.

I have found it nice to have a Circuit Breakerprior to the SCC. I leave my RV unattended for weeks at a time, so with lead acid batteries, my battery manual says to shut power off instead of a constant float charge. Also, the SCC does not like a solar input without a battery connected, at least that’s what the Victron and all other SCC day. So to disconnect the panel for long term storage, I just flip the circuit breaker, and then to disconnect the battery, once solar input is off, I turn the master battery switch off.

Back