diy solar

diy solar

Yandima Combiner or DC to DC Charger?

Kennneee

I have an outboard powered boat with a AGM start battery and an isolated AGM House battery. I want to replace the house battery with a 100amp Lithium. Presently I have a 110volt charger that charges both banks at the dock. My intention is to add a solar panel to keep the house battery charged while I am away for the dock. I would also like the outboards alternator to be able to charge the house battery as well. In trying to figure out the best way to do this. I am stumped as to the best road to go down. A simple Yandima Combiner seems like it would work (lithium version). The other possibility would be a DC to DC charger. I am not clear what advantage this would give me over the combiner. Any advice appreciated.
Ken

There is a renogy DC-DC charger that can handle both solar and alternator charging. It's referenced in this system:

Simply add a 100W solar panel to keep it topped off, and you're done.

Issue with alternator charging Lithium is that Lithium can kill alternators because they can take the max output for longer than an alternator likes.

I think a 100w panel is all I need at this point. Just running lights and navigation electronics. Perhaps adding a refrigerator down the line. At that point I would probably add another panel. I have looked at the Victron DC-DC charger. This Renogy is less expensive. Is the Victron worth the extra cost?

The Victron Orion-Tr 'Smart' model has app management built in, where the Renogy model says you need to buy the additional 'BT-2 Bluetooth Module accessory' in order to have app functionality. Renogy has a 50a model, I think Victron Orion only has 30a max on the biggest one. Victron model would require a separate solar charge controller, where Renogy has it built in.

From Renogy Specs:

• Bluetooth Monitoring Ready! Exclusively available with the BT-2 Bluetooth Module accessory and Renogy DC Home App available on the IOS and Google Play Stores.

Back