diy solar

diy solar

Yangtze 500W solar Panels

Looking at the Alibaba page for Yangtze, there are multiple listings for 500w panels, but I'm assuming they are all the YS500M-96 model?

It looks like you have different panels than the poster who had glue all over his. Could you speak to the build quality of the aluminum frame? And based on your first impression and experience with the company, would you say that this represents a deal that you would recommend for those looking for a quality panel for a low cost?

First impressions: packing was good, cardboard corners between the panels and panels packed tightly together in a wooden crate. No damage from the trip. Panels themselves look very clean, no glue residual or other marks.
WOW. Infinitely better packing than that other chaps.

YS500M-96 model?

Yes. It's the 500W model (they go higher as well), 96 cells.
From first impressions and dealings with the company: definitely would recommend. The whole operation has been painless. Do however know that if you're in the US, you have to add quite a large amount of money on top due to tariffs as I mentioned.

The build quality of the frame is ok - but it definitely needs a proper support structure (these are large panels (1.956x1.310 meters and 26.5kg). This is however normal for this type of panel, as they are aimed at more industrial/commercial applications and not regular home use, so keep that in mind as well.

One of the reasons I bought these is as an evaluation for a 1MW+ plant I'm contemplating building. As it stands, these panels are on the top of my list for this project, but of course, they needs some field testing as well. Hope I get to that this summer still.

Hi,
I am Manuel from Austria and i ordered 23 Panels of 500 Watt solar panel form Yangtze and also 23 Panels of 360 Watt Panels form Yangtze and they are coming to me tomorrow so they are already in austria.
I will give you updates on the project.
The total cost including the taxes are arround 0,35-0,40Euro per Watt so this is very cheap but you could go alot of cheaper if you buy a whole container which is my next project and starting to retail it in Austria and Europe.

Best regards and sunny days
Manuel
Hi.
i am from Romania and i want to buy a solar system off grid 5kw, only from yangtze. if you are interest to buy some products from yangtze and you can't buy a full container, maybe we can associate and buy together for a lower shipping price. if you want so, pls sent an reply to one of my messages and i will contact you.

Yes. It's the 500W model (they go higher as well), 96 cells.
From first impressions and dealings with the company: definitely would recommend. The whole operation has been painless. Do however know that if you're in the US, you have to add quite a large amount of money on top due to tariffs as I mentioned.

The build quality of the frame is ok - but it definitely needs a proper support structure (these are large panels (1.956x1.310 meters and 26.5kg). This is however normal for this type of panel, as they are aimed at more industrial/commercial applications and not regular home use, so keep that in mind as well.

One of the reasons I bought these is as an evaluation for a 1MW+ plant I'm contemplating building. As it stands, these panels are on the top of my list for this project, but of course, they needs some field testing as well. Hope I get to that this summer still.
Hi. i just want to know how the solar system works. Especially the panels.
How they work? How much electricity made? If you put on the roof? It is heavy to install? and so.
I want (if you can) a review.
Have sunny days.

@InterestInSolarEnergy I have a thread on the mount I made here: https://diysolarforum.com/threads/diy-ground-mount.11556/
Yes, they are heavy. I don't plan on putting these on the roof; instead I'm going to continue making ground mounts to put them on.

The panels themselves work just fine. Some of them have been tested over summer and I get close to the 500W per panel out of them in direct sunlight on a very clear day and optimally positioned. I'm at 63 degrees north, keep that in mind. Not sure what else to write about them; they're sturdy (made it through a storm), perform as advertised, and I haven't encountered any other issues.

I am planning to take some panels like you do, but to put on my 45 degrees house roof. I don't know if i make a big mistake if i take 500watts panels. I have space on the roof ( more then 60 square meters) but i am worry about installing panels on the metal tile roof. I want to know if Yangtze solar sent to you brackets to install the panels? If they sent to you, what quality they have? It's suiteble to install panels on 45 degrees metal tile roof.

They didn't send any brackets and I never asked. You probably have to order them separately or as part of a mounting kit for these panels. Keep in mind that depending on where you're located these panels are considered too heavy to install on a roof or by a single person, so if you don't install them yourself keep that in mind. In addition, don't get these if you're in the States since the import duties/tariffs will make these way too expensive.

A WORD OF ADVICE !
Never Ever attempt to install solar panels on a Windy Day ! They want to be sails and to take you for a flight.
Says the guy who installed his panels on a windy day by himself (a two person job regardless).

I am planning to take some panels like you do, but to put on my 45 degrees house roof. I don't know if i make a big mistake if i take 500watts panels. I have space on the roof ( more then 60 square meters) but i am worry about installing panels on the metal tile roof. I want to know if Yangtze solar sent to you brackets to install the panels? If they sent to you, what quality they have? It's suiteble to install panels on 45 degrees metal tile roof.

I would be less worried about the panels than your own body.
Hope you've got a "fall stop" kit to keep yourself from falling all the way to the ground.
And a rescue plan, and a buddy to implement it. Otherwise you hang there until the delivery guy notices you.
Or maybe the line can be short enough to keep you on the roof. A single line would swing an arc, so maybe a "Y" that you continually readjust.

Could be having someone secure the panel to a rope and you lift it would be the way to go.
Or maybe a backpack arrangement.
I put 41 pound 5' x 3.5' panels on a 10' high rack using a ladder on a windless day. That was about my limit.
The ground was sloped, so I tied the ladder first.

Metal "tile". All sorts of brackets available from Unirac, Iron Mountain, etc.

Rails are usually oriented horizontally on the roof. You would have to restrain the panel until two top-clamps had been secured.

If you run the rails vertically like in the following picture, you can secure a couple of clamps at the lower end for the panel to slide against so it stays put while you use both hand installing each clamp on the panel.

For horizontal rails, you could put a couple of bolts sticking out of mounting holes on bottom of panel, to catch on the rail and keep it from sliding while installing top clamps.

Last edited:
Being 2m long I'd be seriously considering a 3rd rail. Depending on the internal framing/structure of the roof horizontal may be the only option when it comes to mounting them too, ie the spacing simply does not allow the rails to be placed in such a way that the panel doesn't overhang the rails by too much.

I just got quote for 50 panels .26 per watt or $130.00 per 500 watt panel shipping on 50 is $780 to Iowa

Hey this sounds like a good deal and very interesting project, I would love to get some feedback on how this goes, when it arives and when you get these up and working! Especially in Iowa, as I am in Wisconsin.

Did you share the vendor information anywhere?
I tried to ask for a sample 2 panel quote and was quoted $1800 USD delivered to NJ USA. That was a bummer and I just abandoned the idea.
That's interesting, for 6 panels I was quoted $1183 from Yangtze to ship to WI USA. Price includes 6 500watt panels, tariffs, 35 day shipping

That's interesting, for 6 panels I was quoted $1183 from Yangtze to ship to WI USA. Price includes 6 500watt panels, tariffs, 35 day shipping
You’re going to get an Anti-Dumping tariff once those panels come into a U.S. port. I’m waiting until after the election before ordering panels.

You’re going to get an Anti-Dumping tariff once those panels come into a U.S. port. I’m waiting until after the election before ordering panels.
Wow, I learn a bunch here, what is the Anti-Dumping Tariff

Wow, I learn a bunch here, what is the Anti-Dumping Tariff
It’s a tax on U.S. consumers purchasing solar panels from China. The general idea is that American manufacturers (and our oil industry) can’t compete on price with Chinese produced panels. The tax is currently 20%, but the bond requirements used by U.S. customs has exacerbated the issue. There is another thread on here with a personal account of someone who tried it.

you may want to search for terms like:
Section 201
Bifacial Exemption (ended October 10th)
Solar tariff
PV magazine

O wow, thank you for the warning. Why would it drop after election if you don’t mind me asking? I’m new to this

O wow, thank you for the warning. Why would it drop after election if you don’t mind me asking? I’m new to this
Just a difference in policy. Biden is promising to repeal the tariff and push a green revolution. Trump put the tariff on to keep American jobs from becoming extinct. It’s not just the oil companies, but the thousands of jobs surrounding ancillary businesses that support the industry. Both positions have good intentions on this issue.
Read this article:

Back