diy solar

diy solar

YAWBMS Thread

Shale MacGregor

Solar Enthusiast
I am working on several packs right now and will end up needing a total of ~ 30 BMS's

I have an overkill solar BMS and ANT BMS and they both seem to work ok so far.

I considered Batrium but keep backing out due to the price to cover this many packs.

I have 2 16S packs that can output up to 300 amps, 4 16S packs that can put out 200 amps, and 24 packs that can put out 100 amps

Temp sensors are not a major concern, mainly I want a small amount of balancing and protection for the packs.

Any recommendations beyond what I've tried?

diybms is what it says.. DIY bms... you build it yourself...

you can order a big part pre assembled , but you still have to do some soldering, or have someone do it for you
Ah, I have to download the board schematic and have it printed/manufactured then? Might be one step too many for me.

I am working on several packs right now and will end up needing a total of ~ 30 BMS's

I have an overkill solar BMS and ANT BMS and they both seem to work ok so far.

I considered Batrium but keep backing out due to the price to cover this many packs.

I have 2 16S packs that can output up to 300 amps, 4 16S packs that can put out 200 amps, and 24 packs that can put out 100 amps

Temp sensors are not a major concern, mainly I want a small amount of balancing and protection for the packs.

Any recommendations beyond what I've tried?

Is this for a giant bank comprised of these 16S batteries, or will they operate independently?

Is this for a giant bank comprised of these 16S batteries, or will they operate independently?
two giant banks, not sure on exact split yet, need to gather more usage data but the pack sizes are 16kWh qty 2, 12kWh qty 4, and 3kWh qty 24

two giant banks, not sure on exact split yet, need to gather more usage data but the pack sizes are 16kWh qty 2, 12kWh qty 4, and 3kWh qty 24

Was curious. While a lot of total $, a Batrium for the entire thing as one bank would run you an average of $186/16S battery.

Two banks (two separate Batriums) would be $203/16S battery.

Given that you already have massive redundancy, have you considered XP16S configurations?

4P16S for your 3 kWh would need only 6 BMS instead of 24.

Was curious. While a lot of total $, a Batrium for the entire thing as one bank would run you an average of $186/16S battery.

Two banks (two separate Batriums) would be $203/16S battery.

Given that you already have massive redundancy, have you considered XP16S configurations?

4P16S for your 3 kWh would need only 6 BMS instead of 24.
I did consider that but I was trying to keep wire size down and also the design/size made it difficult to go too high parallel for the batteries I am using. I was going to do 2P12S but switched up design. I could still switch it up eventually... I kinda bit off a big project with weird cells and keep changing my mind on their layout to make them manageable. The 16s 3kwh pack weighs ~60 lbs, so 4P would be 240lbs and I was trying to go wall mounted.

I don't entirely follow the logic because you're going to have two banks, not just one 3kW 16S batter. Whether they're 1P or XP construction, they're going to need to be nearby as part of the same bank.

I guess I am not following either. If I run 24 wires to a busbar and then feed multiple inverters from that busbar the packs would be in parallel, but not in a way that would be useful for reducing the number of BMS's

If I parallel the cells before putting them in series it raises the ampacity and weight of the individual battery pack by multiples of 60lbs, and remote paralleling isn't possible without some elaborate wiring that I am not able to conceive.

Back