diy solar

diy solar

YES: RV Solar/ Li/ and AC running full time

I can see doing the lower end with what you mentioned for 2 kwh/ day, but the higher end I‘m having trouble seeing how solar provides that power unless the Growatt pulls from the grid.
yep, that's what the generator or the Grid is for. Here in Florida I can produce 5-6kwh a day.
The highest use - 10kwh - is during the summer months - where I usually don't use the RV in down here - or drive north - where I need less energy.

My 24 FT Class A just doesn't have the roof real estate for more panels. Further I'm also thinking about adding alternator charging, since I hardly stay in any place more then a week or so.

Currently it works out - every time I have to empty my tanks I go a night or two in an RV park where I can dump and recharge

Well, another season in Canada is upon us, and the same system listed in this thread is still going. I've had the AC system on since the RV was retrieved from inside storage mid April. And we've had several days in the mid 80's for temp, sun and rain and all the stuff in between.
I'm not surprised to say, this setup is just doing what it does best: work. Like Will always says, set and forget. The systems should just work for years. That's been my experience with this one. I had plans over the winter to add more panels, a second charge controller, etc etc, but that's really unneccessary... and I'm spending the $ on the 23 year old suspension components instead.. which is just basic good maintenance. Anyways, pleased with the continuation of this system.
The one thing I can't figure out is my consumption meter won't reset at the trigger voltage.. It's set to reset the AH to full when the voltage hits 13.7 (my charge profile is topped at 13.8) and it's just simply not doing it. I had it all unplugged for storage, and since re-connecting it's not working right at all. It took 4 weeks for the meter to finally get to 'full' even though the battery was topped off that whole time. Odd.

Well, I've succumbed to an electrical update. Hahahah!
I was using 1060w on the roof and a 60a controller for charging my 13v 7000w battery. Here's a picture of my roof, I used this for years and it was great!
Old:
IMG_20200722_084836.jpg

Loved that, BUT with all new 4 panels, I could get another 50% so I moved to 4 panels, shown below:
New:
PXL_20221026_143332497.jpg

That also added the need for a higher level charger, so I rewired everything for a 100a charger:

PXL_20221026_145236352.jpg

I'm using that 1520w on the roof as a 2s 2p system, which is 80voc and 20a down.
I believed this to be the time as well to install a new 6awg wire set from the roof to the charger, which I installed in this roof box:

PXL_20221023_145136417.jpg

That's overkill, but I'm planning ahead for something else in the future.....

So with that said, and the rolling powerhouse this now is, I'm getting a 43amp charge (570w) at this time of year... Up north in Canada... 2 weeks before winter solstice. I'm very pleased.

Sadly I can't use the RV this time of year in the North. But those plans may change in the future, and I'll likely bring it South again in the colder months... I'm feeling more ready than ever for this.

Best winter to you all! Stay warm.

The roof looks good, Mine has aluminum roof and it gets hot enough to cook on. Ambient temps make all the difference. Have had a cool down here for a few days mid 90's and the little 8000 btu window ac was working great sipped power compared to 105f . I think what I am going to do is run a 5000 btu window ac for mild days and the solar can keep up fine with it then for the extreme hot days run the gen set with roof air
Just a thought here. Many RV owners use Henrys koolkoat ( no affiliation) when its time to reroof. Many claim 15 degree decrease in roof temp. Many are in fool sun in Arizona and Nevada. May be something to look into.

We had some 85 deg days last week, and my new 1500w setup is super steady. I left all the blinds UP and curtains OFF for 7 straight days of sun and monitored the system, while the AC was left on at 72 the whole time. I never saw more draw than 450w and the system was producing easily 700+w, but there was no need for more than that to keep up. The newest 100a/1500w setup is really strong for my unit. I like. Very pleased.
I hit the joints with a temp gun to check what the 50+a charge/load was doing to the new connections, and there's no real heat happening at all. Also very pleased with this.
Ready for another season of sun and fun! Let the wheels turn!

I the same E350 chassis as your class C which I have completely striped it down to the chassis the cabin part and rebuild it with 2" exp foam board in the floor and walls and 3" on the ceiling. Now it is empty and getting ready to start doing the interior I would like a 12k BTU mini split and a 12 cu ft fridge and small microwave ,coffee maker and induction cook top also. Do you think the system you have would be ok to run everything (not at the same time lol) ????

Back