diy solar

diy solar

Yet another battery recommendation thread

Rednecktek

Solar Wizard
So I'm perusing Amazon for some smaller LiFePo4 batteries in the 20Ah range and I'm seeing a few options in the $50-$60 range, but I have no idea if they have low temp cutoffs. I figure just because they advertise having a BMS doesn't mean there's a low temp cutoff.

Building my own isn't an option right now and because we do get a few days of below freezing nights every year I kinda need it.

Suggestions guys? Amazon links preferred and I'm on a budget.

I have recently received my 12v 20Ah Lifepo4 from Aliexpress.
You can read my little review here:
https://diysolarforum.com/threads/review-cheap-12v-20ah-lifepo4-from-aliexpress.31939/

It didn't pull full capacity, but I am testing it again to see if slower charging helps.

I haven't tested low temp charging, as in my case the battery won't be in such conditions.
If you are interested, just let me know, and I will put the battery in the freezer for the night and test if it charges.

There seem to be many similar 12v 20ah Lifepo4 batteries on Amazon.
Just search for "12v 20Ah" and you will find them.

Oh I've found them, I just can't tell if they actually have low temp shutoff. If you'd be willing to toss that battery in the freezer it would be interesting to read. Thanks.

Unfortunately slower charging didn't help... still got 17.5Ah capacity.
Maybe the BMS is too restrictive.

Oh I've found them, I just can't tell if they actually have low temp shutoff. If you'd be willing to toss that battery in the freezer it would be interesting to read. Thanks.
No problem. I put the battery in the deep freezer a few hours ago. I guess I will check soon.

Back