diy solar

diy solar

Yet another question regarding fuses.

WNCGUY

I'm sure I am missing something so please set me straight.

Regardless of system voltage, ANL fuses appear to be the preferred fuse type used here on the forum, yet when I look at the Will Prowse Websight, he recommends Mega fuses. He goes a step further saying, "Stick to these fuses if you do not want to have problems with your 12V system."

Moving on the T class fuses. Will only mentions their use for a 48-volt system but reviewing forum posting I often see mention of the need to use a class T fuse on the main battery cable.

With the above information I would conclude Mega fuses are the best option for a 12-volt system and a class T fuse is not needed in a 12-volt system.

As I tinker with the electrical design for a mobile application that includes two, 100ah 12v SOK batteries and a 1500-watt inverter, I find the more I read, the more I need to ask questions.

I'm sure I am missing something so please set me straight.

Regardless of system voltage, ANL fuses appear to be the preferred fuse type used here on the forum, yet when I look at the Will Prowse Websight, he recommends Mega fuses. He goes a step further saying, "Stick to these fuses if you do not want to have problems with your 12V system."

Moving on the T class fuses. Will only mentions their use for a 48-volt system but reviewing forum posting I often see mention of the need to use a class T fuse on the main battery cable.

With the above information I would conclude Mega fuses are the best option for a 12-volt system and a class T fuse is not needed in a 12-volt system.

As I tinker with the electrical design for a mobile application that includes two, 100ah 12v SOK batteries and a 1500-watt inverter, I find the more I read, the more I need to ask questions.
I’m not Gona offer tech advice… but you ain’t seen nothing yet about learning this stuff.…
the more ya learn the more ya realize how much ya don’t know about a very complex topic… go back and re - read about the different fuses and what they all do differently and why they exist…
I think you mis- understood some of what you think you read correctly…
jus saying… stay away from cheap “anything”. if you can buy a battery fuse assembly for 18 dollars , it’s probably not the fuse you need on a decent size system. Don’t underestimate what two 100 amp lithium batts can do if somthing goes south At 12 v - 24 v or 48 volt….

good luck in your journey …have patience …… it will start falling together if you stick to trying to learn….everyone has to go through a learning curve …
jim

With fuse type selection it depends on system battery type and voltage. The specification of the fuse will indicate, the working voltage range, AC and DC volts , and the current interrupt or rupture capacity.
MEGA fuse, DC volts 32, interrupt capacity 2000 Amps, no ingition protection.
ANL fuse, Blue sea specification, DC volts 32, interrupt capacity, 6000 amps.
ANL fuse, Bussman specification, DC volts 80, interrupt capacity, 2700 amps.
MRBF fuse, Blue sea specification, DC volts 14, interrupt capacity, 10000 amps, ( 32 volts, 5000 A, 58 volts 2000 A).
Class T fuse, Little fuse specification, DC volts, 125, interrupt capacity, 20000 amps.
Alternatives to classT in Europe and other countries are HRC fuses BS 88 or IEC60269 variants.

Summary, for lithium batteries the main fuse should idealy be classT or a HRC equivalent. A MRBF fuse is perhaps acceptable for a low capacity 12v lithium battery system

Last edited:
Back