diy solar

diy solar

Yinlong LTO bank for my Off grid cabin

Craig

Watts are Watts!
Staff member
I just finished milling the bus bars today after thinking about them for some months.
This is a configuration I hope to deploy this week at my cabin. It is a 3p12s 120Ah 24V battery.
Well almost finished. The big blocks of aluminum will get drilled to Accept 0 Awg cable and have bolts to tighten the cables down.
I will of course be adding a Chargery tomorrow as well.
The next addition will be another bank in parallel or to move to 48V
I used the LTO cells because I need to be able to charge them fast and when it is below freezing.
The middle paltes are 4"x6"x1/4 inch 6061 Aluminum
The end plates are 3"x6"x1" 6061 as well.
The studs are M12 so they are very sturdy. I will wrap it all in a wood box for now.

0426202204.jpg

What are you doing to mitigate corrosion problems due to dissimilar metals being in contact with each other?

Everything is aluminum. I have had no corossion problems hooking up welding wire to the ends so far after 6 months on my other setup. The car stereo guys do not seem to have issues either.

Maybe I will down the road. I don't know.

Everything is aluminum. I have had no corossion problems hooking up welding wire to the ends so far after 6 months on my other setup. The car stereo guys do not seem to have issues either.

Maybe I will down the road. I don't know.
I thought the studs and or nuts might be made of steel. Keeping it all aluminum would solve the problem.

How do the end plates fasten?

Are they tapped??
Yes I taped them at first I tried to countersink a 1.25 inch hole to allow for putting the nuts on. But that was a slow process and didn't really look all that good so I decided to just tap them. At first I was going to tap half of the plates as well but it was too hard to get the holes exactly perpendicular
by hand when using the tap. Below is one I made for a car stereo guy. he wanted to be able to attach ) Guage cable. I made connectors for him on end with a set screw/nut.

0425201606a (1).jpg

I am not all that happy with the big connectors though because if they spin they can arc on the other plates. This isnt a problem with my 3p setup.

Back