diy solar

diy solar

Your recommendation on WiFi to Ethernet bridge?

svetz

Works in theory! Practice? That's something else
The other day my internet connection dropped and I was told it would take a week to get an appointment.

But, Comcast/Xfinity also has a local WiFi service. If it's just a few hours of disruption I can setup a hotspot
with my phone, but that doesn't get wireless to my LAN gear. So, what I'm looking for is something that
connect my LAN (both wifi and cable) to the Comcast service for longer emergencies.

You can, for the low price of $14/mo rent such a bridge from Comcast.

But, it also looks like for a one-time fee of $32 you can get a device like the one to the right that will do it.

Is anyone knowledgeable or has done this? What would you use or what would you recommend?
Any must have features to look for?
41gQQAA8ozL._AC_SX679_.jpg

The other day my internet connection dropped and I was told it would take a week to get an appointment.

But, Comcast/Xfinity also has a local WiFi service. If it's just a few hours of disruption I can setup a hotspot
with my phone, but that doesn't get wireless to my LAN gear. So, what I'm looking for is something that
connect my LAN (both wifi and cable) to the Comcast service for longer emergencies.

You can, for the low price of $14/mo rent such a bridge from Comcast.

But, it also looks like for a one-time fee of $32 you can get a device like the one to the right that will do it.

Is anyone knowledgeable or has done this? What would you use or what would you recommend?
Any must have features to look for?
41gQQAA8ozL._AC_SX679_.jpg
Not sure if this is what your after but Firewalla can aggregate multiple ISP to a single lan.

Appreciate the thought, but as long as the IP address on the LAN isn't routable I'm
not worried about intrusion as most devices aren't interesting (e.g., TV) or have their
own firewall (e.g., PC). It's also pricey!

This probably isn't much different than what boaters or RVers need for the internet.
What I'm looking for is the mystery box that can act as a secondary router in
the event my primary cable link goes down as depicted to the right.

My router has a wireless bridging function, wonder if I could use that?

Also, a new problem, I can't detect the XFi signal from inside the house, so might
need a 2.4/5 GHz yagi.
1667561881196.png

NETGEAR Trek N300 Travel Router, Range Extender, and Wireless Bridge (PR2000)​

NETGEAR Trek N300 Travel Router, Range Extender, and Wireless Bridge (PR2000)
Hmmm, cellular and WiFi, $30-$40 used off eBay... that looks pretty good. Thanks! Still need to look into my range problem.

Hmmm, cellular and WiFi, $30-$40 used off eBay... that looks pretty good. Thanks! Still need to look into my range problem.

Range problem? Can't detect xfinity from inside the house?

Do you have:
Metal roof ?
Brick home or steel sided home?
Newer double pain Low-E windows?

How far are you from their wifi broadcaster ? Hills around you or lots of trees?

There are other similar devices available that do the same thing, I just happen to like netgear stuff. We have two routers in our home, the main router is attached to our modem, the second router is a hardwired bridge to extend the wifi across the house and outside. Both routers are identical, both are Netgear, both work flawlessly.

Range problem? Can't detect xfinity from inside the house?
There was a signal when we first moved in, but I can't find it now. I walked around outside looking for signal on my cellphone today, but no joy.

Went on line, and what do I find:
The Xfinity XFi website will no longer be available after June 7th, 2022
Guess nobody was signing up for it here.

So another vaguely dubious idea goes up in smoke.

There was a signal when we first moved in, but I can't find it now. I walked around outside looking for signal on my cellphone today, but no joy.

Went on line, and what do I find:

Guess nobody was signing up for it here.

So another vaguely dubious idea goes up in smoke.

Well that's not optimal.

Back