diy solar

diy solar

Z-bracket attachment advice

Cmeister23

So I have my Renogy z-brackets mounted on the panels and the panels on the roof. The roof has just enough of a curve so that the outer bracket on one side has a gap as you can see in the picture. How would you recommend bridging the gap? The bracket can be pressed down enough to bend and then screwed down - but is that a good idea? Shims? If so what material is best? Add some washers to the z-bracket mount at the panel? I have some curved brackets but they don't match up with the size of the existing brackets and are much more complicated and expensive when only one bracket per panel has this gap. I have tried aligning the panels different ways and no matter what I always come up with one off like this. Any advice from the experts for this beginner? It's going on a GD Reflection. The roof plywood from what I am reading is 3/8". I am using 1 1/4" wood screws to secure the brackets.

IMG-7208.jpg

Last edited:
Why are you putting two brackets side by side? I've never seen that done before. If that's what you really want to do, I would put spacers between the bracket and the panel, such that the bracket lays flat on the roof.

It looks like you're placing the panel in an east-west orientation. It would lay better with a north-south orientation. But the objects on your roof may prevent that.

I would not rely in the plywood underlayment as your sole source of securing the panels. I found the roof trusses and that's what I put my screws into.

Here is how I mounted my panels to my roof:

Back