diy solar

diy solar

Zero Replies

OK. Here is a reply.

Welcome to the forum!! (It looks like this is your only post)

The answers you want you can't get, and the answers you get you don't want. Welcome to the internet and forums in general.

What a friendly bunch! Thanks for your kind replies ?

Whilst I was half joking, I do see that there are several questions in the beginners forum (including my own boring tome before I edited it) that receive quite a few views but no replies.

I appreciate that different forums have different ways of doing things but if I was an expert rather than the dirty noob that I am, I would be inclined to throw a quick reply to these lost souls; even if their question is obvious and/or boring; just to help them feel that posting in the forum is worth their time, lest they not post again and miss out on the advice of what appears to be a great community.

Last edited:
I sometimes click "What's New" and sometimes respond to what's there.
Mostly, I select what thread to open based on my interest considering the title.

I wouldn't make a good customer support guy. I create problems, or try not to, or work on issues assigned to me (in my day job.)

A format like this forum could be used to support a company's products. In that case people would be assigned to work through backlog, and there would be various aging and other mechanisms. As a hobbyist interest forum, some comments posted (at 3:00 AM my time) could be missed, and a re-post that brings them to the top might get results. What might help researching others similar experiences in a forum is tagging of topic. There is a "similar threads" below this message, but probably little intelligence or AI behind the association.

I sometimes click "What's New" and sometimes respond to what's there.
Mostly, I select what thread to open based on my interest considering the title.

I wouldn't make a good customer support guy. I create problems, or try not to, or work on issues assigned to me (in my day job.)

A format like this forum could be used to support a company's products. In that case people would be assigned to work through backlog, and there would be various aging and other mechanisms. As a hobbyist interest forum, some comments posted (at 3:00 AM my time) could be missed, and a re-post that brings them to the top might get results. What might help researching others similar experiences in a forum is tagging of topic. There is a "similar threads" below this message, but probably little intelligence or AI behind the association.
Yes, I definitely think that with the forum being international, new posts could fall down the list and get lost quite quickly. I am in the UK, so aside from my initial post being a bit long winded, the timing wouldn't have helped in my getting a reply....

aside from my initial post being a bit long winded
As noted by FilterGuy, there are no other posts by you outside of this thread. So whatever you think you posted, never made it here.

Don't believe me, look at your own profile and see what posts you made. They are all in this thread.

Edited: See the Purple for changes

Sorry you did not get a response. There could be many reasons for that.... not the least of which is that there are sooo many new threads that it is easy for a new thread to get lost in the noise.

When it comes to joining a thread I had not been on before, it is almost always responding to something on the 'unanswered threads' list that catch my eye. (That is when I responded to your "Zero Replys" post) There is no way I could or would answer them all.

So what catches my eye? It can be rather arbitrary, but these are some of the things:

• Threads that I know something about and feel I can help with will be more likely to get a response. (These are often newbe posts)
  • Threads with specific questions and enough info to answer will be more likely to get a response..
  • Threads that essentially say "design the system for me" are unlikely to get a response from me.
  • Long drawn out posts typically turn me off.
  • Threads with a new or unique problem or a unique solution to a problem will catch my eye.
  • Threads with topics that I want to learn more about will catch my eye.
  • A lot of posts are specific to a make and model of a piece of equipment. Unless I happen to know that unit, I am not likely to try to research it and answer the question.
  • I used to answer a lot of really basic "What is 1 + 1" questions that could have been answered by watching Will's videos or searching the forums. I still do that some, but far less than I used to.
  • I usually respond with a short welcome message to posts that are just saying "I am new to the forum and just want to say hi"
  • I don't have time or a desire to read all the new posts, so I often make a decision to open the thread (or not) based on the title. Consequently, the title of the post is important.
  • I generally don't scan more than the first page or two of the "unanswered threads" list. I suspect most of us don't. If you don't get an answer for a few days it is probably a good idea to re-write the post in a different way.
  • Questions that I can answer with a short reply are more likely to get a response. Questions that require long replys are less likely to get a response.
  • Issues involving safety are more likely to get a response from me.
Once I respond to a thread, I get notifications of new posts to the thread and try to stay on top of the conversation. I do enough posting that this tends to be a lot of reading of the ongoing conversations....and often a lot of participation in the discussion. Consequently, there is a natural slow down of responding to new posts if there are a lot of active threads I am on.

Attachments

• 1628364071268.png
    1628364071268.png
    351.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
As noted by FilterGuy, there are no other posts by you outside of this thread. So whatever you think you posted, never made it here.

Don't believe me, look at your own profile and see what posts you made. They are all in this thread.
I think the OP posted something and then edited it to this topic when he did not get a reply.

I think the OP posted something and then edited it to this topic when he did not get a reply.
Not sure but i think the time limit for editing posts is an hour, right? So the OP got discouraged and felt the need to express disappointment in less than an hour? All from GMT.

Much longer than an hour.
Often I re-read my post hours later after someone reacts, and that's when I find more typos.

By the way, how do people put clever catch-phrases under their avatar and handle? I only have the automatically-assigned one.

Thanks for the tips Filterguy and Svetz.

In response to MisterSandals, Hedges is right; I edited my first post after a day or two upon seeing other new posts receiving replies and watching mine drop down the list; there was definitely no time limit within which to edit my post.

I'll repost again soon taking the tips I've received into consideration; it was nothing particularly interesting....other than the bit about the magic smoke....

Last edited:
Back