diy solar

diy solar

7.3kw Battery completed. 3d Printed cover and spacers.

BowenMarmot

I have just completed my first battery. It is an 8s 24v system with 8 304ah EVE cells and a JK BMS (JK-B2A8S20P). It will be used together with an MPP Solar all-in-one to provide UPS functionality to my home lab. I live in an area where we get regular power outages and I was getting sick of replacing the lead acid batteries in my traditional UPSs every year or so. I am hoping this one will allow about 6-7 hours of runtime for my system and then, if needed, I can fire up the generator for a few hours to recharge.

I designed the cover(black) and separators (white) to provide a channel for the balance leads and to protect the battery from inadvertent shorts across the terminals and bus bars. They are 3d printed using PETG. I was lucky enough to order at the time when the displays just started to be offered with the BMS and, once I figured out I could remove the handlebar mount thingy I designed a panel mount for it. Also printed in PETG.

Link to the Cover and Spacer: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5331306
Link to the Display mount: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5331287

Many, many thanks to all the folks in this community who have provided so much information. I have only been a lurker up until now so you don't know that you helped my but you really did!

2022-03-26T08:43:13_Davinci_IMG_2111.JPG

2022-03-26T08:43:42_Davinci_IMG_2112.JPG
2022-03-26T08:45:33_Davinci_IMG_2116.JPG
2022-03-26T08:44:04_Davinci_IMG_2114.JPG

Looks pretty nice!
Is it on castors?
Is that a precharge resistor on your switch? When I (eventually) build my rack, I want to do something like that with an LED diode so I can watch the diode fade as the precharge completes.

Looks pretty nice!
Is that a precharge resistor on your switch?
Thanks!

It is indeed a precharge resistor. The switch is a 2 way switch typically used to separate the house battery from the starter battery on a boat. In my case the first "leg" connects via the precharge resistor and "leg" 2 goes directly. I got the idea from "Digital Mermaid" on youtube.

No casters at the moment as it is going to be a stationary install but I am tempted just because that would be cool. LOL

Love the idea of the fading LED for the precharge.

Last edited:
Back