diy solar

diy solar

Anyone in the US still on the Starlink wait list?

Maybe lightning/electromagnetic related and not the precipitation?

Just heavy clouds, because it can drop out before it even starts actually raining.
Perhaps also due to the number of sats in my area. Because when I first got it, there were only 3 at any given time. I have not looked recently.

I get dropouts during very heavy thunderstorms (I assume mostly from signal attenuation because of the volume of water). Other than that, it's great. I've got the standard Gen 2 dish, with the included base, mounted on my roof. I bought a kit from amazon that included 4 magnet pucks to place on the mount, and I'm just using them to mount to my steel roof.

We were in the very first beta test shipments, with a gen 1 dish. I think I've seen our Starlink go down three times: Once when it snowed and sleeted so hard the snow melt function couldn't keep up. That lasted about an hour as I recall, and then it corrected itself. Then twice more during very, very hard downpours. Each of those outages lasted under 5 minutes. Much more reliable than our old cable internet in the previous house in Hellburbia. Fiber will be here in the next two years and we'll sign up and use it, with a cellular backup, as the cost is much lower and the speed much faster. But Starlink has been fantastic for our rule lives, and I'd recommend it to anyone in search of a good connection in a rural area that doesn't have fiber.

Back