diy solar

diy solar

EG4 Mini-split kinked one of the copper line sets

Techrx888

Hello everyone, was just wondering if anyone had some advice on this problem i created.

Basically while working on running the line sets from the EG4 12k mini-split Seer2 288.5 12000 BTU i kinked the copper line and then heard it crack open

I had not hooked it into the outside unit yet so no refrigerant was leaked but the vacuum in the line set was broken.

I talked with signature solar and they were very helpful but are asking me to return the entire outside unit by freight, they would inspect then ship me an entire new outside unit also by freight, which would probably be approaching 700 to 800 in freight costs. Just having new line sets replaced was not an option, and maybe one day they said.

Anybody have any advice? One option is to try a local HVAC company to come help, and i don't mind that, but I've just had some really bad experiences with local HVAC. And well i like doing stuff like this, even if i'm not that good :)

Maybe repair the line with some copper pipe, then figure out how to re vaccumize it etc?

Anyways any help would be appreciated!

Thank you !

Problem is not just vacuum but moisture may have been introduced (humidity), and may impact the drier or other components.

no was not connected to the outside unit at all

Yes was connected to the inside unit, actually heard it hiss a bit when connecting

And my same thought can't they just send a new line set? but they said they could not

There's Nitrogen (Edit, pre DIY there was. Maybe just under vacuum now? ) in the indoor unit to keep it dry and clean. Seems at most exchange indoor unit and lines, and I'm guessing that would all go UPS?? Did you talk to SS more than once?? Seems they may be misunderstanding the situation

And yes, I suppose you could have a HVAC guy repair lines then evac system in the conventional manner thru the outdoor unit service port prior to releasing refrigerant??

This really should be an easy fix. Any half way decent A/C guy should be able to square you away. You may even want to just pick up your own Vac pump from H/F or off Amazon. When I did my mini splits, the main outdoor units have the refrigerant. The lines were shipped as just lines with compression fittings for cut to length and the indoor unit was under vacuum and capped. I installed the indoor unit and had to release the vacuum when pulling the caps to hook up the lines. After attaching to the outdoor unit, I had to pull vacuum in the lines/indoor unit as a set. I pulled vac for 30 minutes *this helps remove any moisture* made sure it held for 30 minutes, then twisted the *puncture* screw on the service port to charge the lines. If you did it yourself, you will have about 100 dollars into the pump and materials to fix the tubing. I would guess you would be looking at a 2 hour service call from an A/C company. But do it quick before the temps go up and the rates go up!

no was not connected to the outside unit at all

Yes was connected to the inside unit, actually heard it hiss a bit when connecting

And my same thought can't they just send a new line set? but they said they could not
They may only stock entire kits.
Not individual components.
Ask if they can sell you a long lineset.
Should be cheaper than shipping everything back.

They may only stock entire kits.
Not individual components.
Ask if they can sell you a long lineset.
Should be cheaper than shipping everything back.
Long lineset will require additional R-410a over what the system is pre charged with. But then again, if he is just trimming the new line to the same length as the existing one and doing a new flare on the end, that should work just fine as well.

Looks like 16' mini split line sets are only about $95 bux on Amazon. He would just need to know if needed 1/2" or 3/8" based on the model he has from what little research I have done. I must be bored today or something 😁

Thank you all i really appreciate it, here are some pictures of the line.lineset1.jpg

Attachments

• lineset2.jpg
    lineset2.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 23
Okay support has been pretty great i think, almost basically telling me to try the ones aftermarket ones online without really saying that. They also mentioned a spring HVAC tool that will probably help me when bending it and it looks like it probably would.

It also seems that they are really trying to work on this situation, there are logistic details i guess with the vendor,

I really like the idea Timmaahhh has, as all of this was meant to DIY, and its actually relaxing and fun from what my real job is strangely enough. Plus i might want to put a few more of these in.

I'll get the measurements figured out and probably also order a replacement aftermarket set, but still want to try and repair the ones i have.

Do you need full length of the line?
Could cut off and just use half. Or splice with a Tee.
There are vacuum pumps available, I paid a bit under $200 for 2-stage from Harbor Freight. And maybe $50 for manifold gauge set.

Or maybe an HVAC guy could do it for you, carry-in. Slip some bucks to a guy in a service truck?

Problem is not just vacuum but moisture may have been introduced (humidity), and may impact the drier or other components.

He said the line was not connected...

My god they won't just sell you one? Its just copper line? Make your own. If I was setting up one of these I would redo and re flare the lines anyway.

This company SS is a trip.

Is this one of the DIY kits with charged line sets or a normal line set?

the line set for this one is pre charged, but in a vacuum, I thought originally it had refrigerant in the lines

Here you go, the manual says they are F1 and F2 connecting to M1 an M2

So that looks like from my searching that it is a 3/8 and 3/4

Attachments

• IMG_2187.jpeg
    IMG_2187.jpeg
    134.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2188.jpeg
    IMG_2188.jpeg
    114.1 KB · Views: 18
Back