diy solar

diy solar

Eg6 6000xp - not working with 30amp gen or dogbone in RV

Rvsolarguy0624

Go easy on me here. I’m semi new to the solar game.

I’m currently setting up a 48v solar system in a 50amp service RV. This is what I have purchased already.

2460w - solar panels, installed on the roof already
120ah 48v lifepo battery
EG4 6000xp off grid inverter.

The solar, batteries and inverter are working great, I have wired both ends (L1 and L2) into the rv distribution panel and all is well. 50amp service acts as grid power and solar panels will charge the battery.

**The problem**

The generator is a 30amp onan gen running directly to a TS where it is met with the shore power as well. So from the TS the output is a 240 wire that I’m running directly to the inverter.

The customer service rep at EG4 just informed me that the 6000xp will not accept 120v from the generator or the 30a, 15a shore power if we have to downgrade or are moochdocking in a yard.

if he was correct, what are my options because this essentially renders my generator useless (can’t use it to charge the batteries) and it also makes life very inconvenient if I don’t have 50amp service.

I was looking at the victron multiplus II 2x120 but they don’t make that in 48v so I’d have to return my batteries and inverter which would be a total pain.

I was then considering 2 3000w 48v inverters in parallel to accept 120 and 240.

Has anyone run into this situation and how did they solve for it?

2X MP-II 48V/3kVA (not the 2x120) units operating in split phase parallel can be configured to charge from either 120V supplied to a single inverter or 120/240V supplied to both. You would need an MPPT and other goodies.

Have you measured your generator output? Most RV-based ONAN have two in-phase 120VAC circuits, not 240V.

Another option is a 120VAC to 48V charger. The EG4 chargeverter is probably your best solution to charge at up to 50A when supplied with 120VAC.

Go easy on me here. I’m semi new to the solar game.

I’m currently setting up a 48v solar system in a 50amp service RV. This is what I have purchased already.

2460w - solar panels, installed on the roof already
120ah 48v lifepo battery
EG4 6000xp off grid inverter.

The solar, batteries and inverter are working great, I have wired both ends (L1 and L2) into the rv distribution panel and all is well. 50amp service acts as grid power and solar panels will charge the battery.

**The problem**

The generator is a 30amp onan gen running directly to a TS where it is met with the shore power as well. So from the TS the output is a 240 wire that I’m running directly to the inverter.

The customer service rep at EG4 just informed me that the 6000xp will not accept 120v from the generator or the 30a, 15a shore power if we have to downgrade or are moochdocking in a yard.

if he was correct, what are my options because this essentially renders my generator useless (can’t use it to charge the batteries) and it also makes life very inconvenient if I don’t have 50amp service.

I was looking at the victron multiplus II 2x120 but they don’t make that in 48v so I’d have to return my batteries and inverter which would be a total pain.

I was then considering 2 3000w 48v inverters in parallel to accept 120 and 240.

Has anyone run into this situation and how did they solve for it?

A chargeverter configured with the 120v plug would be a great option in this case, or alternative 48v lithium battery charger.

You will have to connect your EG4 (input) on the 50a shore power side of the generator transfer switch and either a manual switch or additional transfer switch on the AC Load side of the EG4 to totally isolate the EG4 when the 120v generator is supplying power. Then a 120v 48VDC charger can be connected to the generator load circuit to charge the batteries whenever the generator is powering the internal loads. Slightly complicated but the goal is to isolate both the AC IN and the AC OUT of the inverter from the generator operation.

Back