diy solar

diy solar

Had EVE LifePo4 3.2v 310ah. Flames shot up. We got fire out.

No, that did not seem to be the problem. But we still don't know about this. One seems to go to MPPT bat +? Other one disappears with a big bundle into wall. Not researching that any more right now.

I've been following this and would like to try and help too.
Without a lot of photos detailed and overview plus even a crude wiring diagram it's really hard to help.
I wish you luck in getting it resolved.
I'm assuming you've already found / downloaded the manual for everything you have?
I bet things would make a lot more sense

20230703_092633.jpg
I am concerned about the amount of copper exposed on Bat - slot... and will push that back in and sure it is snug before reconnecting/turning solar back on. That will be a few more months yet.

Ok, we flipped the switch to Quattro from ON to OFF and back ON and things began coming back on. Refrigerator is on, most wall lights, water pump, vent fans.

Turning water heater on tripped breaker, so will not use it or Air Conditioners for now.

Will work on finishing schematic while all this is fresh. And begin deciding what to get as replacement batteries.

We have learned a lot from the process.

One thing we didn't know about was the small switch on Quattro, which was hidden from view. Wondering if that would have powered up things without moving AC2 wiring to AC1. Not back-tracking to test that!

I will share the schematic here when it is done.

based on the first photo alone. looks like a direct short in the cells, where the blue plastic might have been damaged (vibration?)

The casing below the blue plastic is basically a negative terminal. so if cells in series rub together and wear the blue plastic, you have a direct short.

based on the first photo alone. looks like a direct short in the cells, where the blue plastic might have been damaged (vibration?)

The casing below the blue plastic is basically a negative terminal. so if cells in series rub together and wear the blue plastic, you have a direct short.
I suspect something fell down between two cells and wore a hole through the blue and eventually the casing. There is a hole in the casing and matching damage on adjacent cell.

Should you decide to redo the battery there is plenty of help available to make sure things are done correctly.

Should you decide to redo the battery there is plenty of help available to make sure things are done correctly.
Yes! Thanks. Not in a big rush. Just wish I was wired for 240 and not just 120 right now, but I am managing.

Last edited:
I've been following this and would like to try and help too.
Without a lot of photos detailed and overview plus even a crude wiring diagram it's really hard to help.
I wish you luck in getting it resolved.
I'm assuming you've already found / downloaded the manual for everything you have?
I bet things would make a lot more sense
Yes, I have it all and have been compiling a "user manual" for my system. It's very complex and frankly I got overwhelmed by it all and needed a break. Now have 120 shore power which gives me limited power... refridge, ceiling lights, fans. Can not use a/c or microwave. Some wall outlets are not live. Only AC1 is live. Nothing connected to AC2 at this time.
Also have an extension cord running to house for other items, floor fans, laptop, chest freezer. I can limp by like thus, but have to go inside son's house if trailer temps get up to 90f and higher.

Need to buy new batteries, and get solar working again, so I can return to full-time boondocking. Hope to sort this all out soon.

In addition to the user manual... I am working on a schematic.

Probably the number one reason for Lifepo4/vehicle bad magic smoke is a short between cells or to surrounding metal structure. The blue covering should be thought as temporary until you get something between it and trouble, all sides AND bottom with protection over the top. The cells should be secured and insulated. More complex than a stationary installation. Glad you were around to take action.

Probably the number one reason for Lifepo4/vehicle bad magic smoke is a short between cells or to surrounding metal structure. The blue covering should be thought as temporary until you get something between it and trouble, all sides AND bottom with protection over the top. The cells should be secured and insulated. More complex than a stationary installation. Glad you were around to take action.
Original owner/installer did not make sure of that. Ripping out everything after the fire and reading up on a proper installation, we could see all the faults, so I am happy to be rid of the mess and upgrade to something safer/more proper, in spite of the expense. Thank you.

Back