diy solar

diy solar

Has anyone ever used these din rail manual transfer switches?

aussiesam

71XdKlz-PiL._SL1500_.jpg 61HMtFnOdOL._SL1500_.jpg
I'm looking for a transfer switch and found these on amazon, link to the product (not affiliated) .. they are dirt cheap, sell for about $15-$20 and offer a very simple transfer switch mechanism, lift left side up and right side goes down and vice versa. I'm wondering if they can be considered safe if installed with other breakers. Has anyone ever used these types or why not? Any feedback would be appreciated

The problem with that dual breaker transfer switch is an interlock does not exist.

Feeding power from 2 sources that are not in phase will result in system failure and not a pretty failure as that. An interlock is designed so power can not be from 2 sources at the same time that are out of phase. You could fabricate one with the right enclosure but really, you can buy a cheap 100A breaker panel and an interlock kit with a backfed breaker and hold down kit and have the same function that would be UL listed.

How does the UL listed version of this from Growatt do better? (The one in their ATS-US)

I know that there are contractors that can be mechanically or electronically interlocked to each other. I believe the growatt at least does an electronic interlock of the contactors in there by flipping the pair of two pole contactors from the same coil drive signal.

In the picture shown I don’t see interlocks on the breaker handles (which I don’t think are enough) and it’s not clear they have the accoutrement to be tied via special mechanical connecting rods

How does the UL listed version of this from Growatt do better? (The one in their ATS-US)

I know that there are contractors that can be mechanically or electronically interlocked to each other. I believe the growatt at least does an electronic interlock of the contactors in there by flipping the pair of two pole contactors from the same coil drive signal.

When a AIO inverter is used with grid backup, in order to function as a UPS with quick switching time, the AIO inverter will draw power from the grid and sync to the phase of grid power. This is why you see that 200W draw on many inverters.

The reason an automatic or manual transfer switch has a delay on switch time is so there can't possibly be 2 sources out of phase.

In the case of the Growatt ATS-US, it has an internal transformer and is basically a UPS.

There is also the style that are not breakers but a real transfer switch. I used these for my transfer control box.

Attachments

• 1715690066401.png
    1715690066401.png
    301.7 KB · Views: 10
I've used a number of these auto/manual transfer switches recently. They work quite well.

That's an interesting construction. I have been looking for an interlock for MCB type/din rail breakers and yours is the first i've seen so far, but mounting one upside down could get a bit confusing. I feel like I might get confused one day, forget which side is off and then you better be sure there is 0 leeway on that mechanism

View attachment 214930 View attachment 214931
I'm looking for a transfer switch and found these on amazon, link to the product (not affiliated) .. they are dirt cheap, sell for about $15-$20 and offer a very simple transfer switch mechanism, lift left side up and right side goes down and vice versa. I'm wondering if they can be considered safe if installed with other breakers. Has anyone ever used these types or why not? Any feedback would be appreciated
I have one I plan to install eventually. It absolutely does have an internal interlock that works, I’ve tested it. It’s impossible to close both at same time - I’ve tried every way possible. Of course it is not UL.

I use these in the UK. I think FuseBox is a UK manufacturer. They hold significant market share here & are considered decent.

1715717422340.png

I've used a number of these auto/manual transfer switches recently. They work quite well.

I've used those before and had zero issues. The only thing is I had to reverse inputs to get the results I desired. I wanted it to fall back to the grid when my inverter was down.

Back