diy solar

diy solar

Power Your 12V Instrumentation With This Amazing Isolated Switching Power Supply

efficientPV

Solar Addict
Better be good at soldering, this baby is only an inch by 5/8. A cheap way to power to instrumentation with isolation. I paid less than a buck each for these including shipping and taxes when I bought 20. Arrived in just 12 days with their 14 day shipping. Rated 300ma, at 40ma this supply will start with just 13V input. Avoid powering devices from a source less than 40V or it may overheat. They specify 100VDC minimum for full current, 370VDC max. Being able to operate so low is big advantage when PV voltages can vary wildly in morning and evening. Forget about calculating resistors and zeners to supply power. Now you can power high side FET drives easily and those monitoring boards. This super small board can mount right on the board terminals. Onboard LED gives power verification and there is a corner of the board that can be cut to delete this. I don't see why anyone would. Black masking so the traces can't be seen, but there is no way this meets UL spacing standards. Somehow, they found it necessary to put the 4.7uF 400V right next to the 12V output. No EMI suppression on input power, suggest putting a MOV on input terminals and a small resistor for some spike protection. I use a lot of switching power supplies near 60V. Many won't start without a little modification and operation below 35V is not possible. Jumper wire from -12V out to 400V cap - will give a three wire connection for common minus. This will not have reverse voltage protection since diode bridge will short incoming power. One AC to -12V will provide reverse voltage protection. Shown mounted on a boards power terminals with soldered jumper.

12V300maPowersupplyS.jpgonboardPS.jpg

Back