diy solar

diy solar

Predator or Champion?

12VoltInstalls

life passes by too quickly to not live in freedom
Bought a 3500W predator inverter generator with $100 off coupon. Haven’t opened the box as I’m having second thoughts.

Noticed this morning that I can buy a “3650W” Champion for $50 less than HF price after coupon. But that’s not what’s most important to me.

Which one is better? Champion will drink gasoline or propane, HF is gasoline only.

What I’m really wondering is: are these units identical and/or which one is better?
Champion is at TSC (1/2 hour away) while HF is an hour and twenty minutes away if I need support… Plus HF only warranties 90 days, whereas Champion looks like a year- and winter isn’t within 90 days if the HF unit is crap.

What’s the impressions here?

I'd go Champion. I question the quality of HF more (the 90 day warranty is not very confidence-inspiring either!), plus being propane ready is a huge plus (propane lasts indefinitely, stick a couple 20 lb cylinders away and never worry about bad gas).

I have a Champion inverter generator (no propane, though I want to add it), but I've done nothing but put oil in it. Never even ran it and I've had it over a year. It better work because if it doesn't I'm outta luck lol.

I think the HF Predators seem to have a better reputation but most generators are "murdered slowly" rather than being defective. In most cases they either run when new or they break down quickly if its a defective part. I do not think either TSC or HF offer any local service or local support beyond replacing a defective out of the box unit. When I look at the Champion warrantee https://help.championpowerequipment.com/article/ih2o4pfc2s-portable-generator-warranty its specific, you need to return the generator to Champion at your cost to certified service center (not the TSC you bought it from) and Champion decides it if its normal wear and tear, they do give you a lifetime toll free number to call. HF appears to do a 90 day replacement and that is it, no further support and good luck getting parts.

My observation on murdering a generator is the usual demise of a generator. No matter what the manual says, ethanol based fuel will kill outdoor power equipment. An intermittently used generator will almost always end up not starting after a year or two when you need it with a gunked up carburetor. Fully draining the tank and the carb bowl will help but the best option is run ethanol free fuel in it all the time or at least drain the ethanol gas out after use and flush it out with ethanol free. If you use it frequently you can leave in ethanol free for a couple of months but better off draining the tank and the fuel bowl and use it to mow the lawn. Note almost every carb on generator will have either a drain screw or a spring loaded drain on the bottom but they can be a PITA to get to. You also need to drain the bowl when the generator is cool as the gas usually goes where you do not want it. Puregas.org has listing of stations that carry ethanol free and i have bought it in VT so its available. Some folks use Aviation fuel but that usually contains lead which is of no value to modern engine and an environmental pollutant that probably knocked a few IQ point off the generation like me that grew up in the leaded gas era.

the 90 day warranty is not very confidence-inspiring either!
I bought it cuz coupon was expiring- wasn’t done shopping in my head though. It’s returnable if I don’t run it.
What gave me pause was their 2-year protection plan was $299 but they were closing so I figured just buy it and solve it tomorrow. And it’s tomorrow right now:)
The predator is supposed to be Honda clones. Dunno

My vote is CHAMPION, I have been using their equipment for over 20 years and never had a complaint over any of it. I presently do have 2 Champion Gennies, a big 7200/9000 beast for "nasty construction" type stuff... and then I have a 4650W Inverter Model which is used for my Solar Backup at this time.

I am somewhat anal about my power equipment. I break them in with standard oil for the 1st 50hrs, then I change to 0W50 Synthetic so the oil flows as fast as possible to the top when cold and stays thick when hot. My construction genny has "a few" thousand hours on it and starts 1st pull or switch flip every time. Same with my small inverter genny.

Do be aware that Generated Power is different is using LPG or Gasoline and that is true on ALL generators.,

save up and get a Honda
Thanks. Not going to spend more.

If I’m going to have to spend over $800 I’m calling watts247 and setting up a 48V system split phase output that will make my TiG225 run and start my 220V compressor.
30A 120V should do everything I need except the big compressor.

20A lets my twins run- have twin 120V Lincolns, one flux and one mig; 20A works. TiG on 120V blows a 20A breaker eventually/regularly over ~120A. Tablesaw works. Medium-sized air compressor works. Plasma cutter ‘can’ blow the 20A at 120V, and as soon as my little compressor or the mid-sized compressor starts breaker trips anyway.

I think 30A should be acceptable on a generator most of the time.
But again- if I go over $800 on a generator I’d rather do 6000W 48V even though that’s $2500. I don’t want the Gen for backup, I just want power offgrid.
I can charge batteries just fine ?

And 3500W generator is pretty light in weight for going offsite.

But other than welders, mid-sized compressor, plasma, and tablesaw my 2000W psw inverter does just fine and I’ve considered a 3000W but that’s sorta pushing it at 12V and I don’t the inverter will like the bang! of the welders or plasma very long.

No matter what the manual says, ethanol based fuel will kill outdoor power equipment.
This can be true.
With hundreds of hours on small boat motors we discovered stabilizing the fuel heavy with an ethanol treatment works. (The ‘enzyme’ stuff doesn’t last very long fwiw)
So I think I can get by with either non- or with. It will get used somewhat frequently.

FWIW my two old Lawn Boys were stored since 2019 and both started last week after a couple of pulls…

All else being equal the Dual fuel Champion looks to be the better buy. I have no experience in owning either Champion of HF generators but I have used HF small engines to repower equipment such as lawnmowers and wood splitters. Worked just fine for this.

I bought it cuz coupon was expiring- wasn’t done shopping in my head though. It’s returnable if I don’t run it.
What gave me pause was their 2-year protection plan was $299 but they were closing so I figured just buy it and solve it tomorrow. And it’s tomorrow right now:)
The predator is supposed to be Honda clones. Dunno
Just because it is a clone doesn't mean it is a good one! Lotsa junk knockoffs of good stuff out there.

Reactions: JRH
I have a 9000 watt (ish) champion dual fuel.

I taped the gasoline cap down with red duck tape. Propane only. It will never see gasoline.

It’s great. Starts, runs, doesn’t stink the place up. Oil stays cleaner.

No regerts.

I have a champion 3500/4500 (the rating varies depending on how they advertise the sucker) that has served me well for many years being run days on end. If the that watt range is what you need I'd go with the champion. Excellent wheel kit available for it too.

I bought a pulsar 12kw (9500w continous/12kw surge) generator off amazon to replace it since I needed to run the entire house.

The pulsar rocks but its selling for $950 right now when I checked which may be more than your wanting to spend. It arrived as dual fuel propane and gas and I ordered a kit off ebay that made it tri-fuel to on natural gas/propane/gas. Electric start and 50 amp plug on it too. Love the thing.

Another plus with the pulsar thru amazon with prime shipping the shipping cost is free and at 120 or 200 lbs (I cant remember exactly what it was but it was HEAVY) its a nice deal.

Some would choose to forego the oil changes, the refilling, the anxiety of whether it will start, the noise, the neighbor issues, the smell of gasoline on the hands. We added more solar and ditched our dog tired, dirty voltage big box generator (the worn out starter, erratic pull start pawls and pathetic stink). The extra cost was so very much worth it.

Otherwise get the propane model. Champion has a good reputation on the flashlight forum candlepowerforums. It is more of an American made generator than many others, apparently.

I did a lot of research before buying a generator to backup the solar. Predator is interesting if you get the Protection Plan. No hassle replacement at the store, but then you have to buy another protection plan for the new generator.

I like Champion for ok reliability, and availability of parts. Regular generator isn't that hard to fix if you are handy. Inverter generator is nice, but one expensive part to replace if it breaks.

Definitely go Dual/Tri Fuel (Firman at Costco is interesting), and never put gasoline in it, except during break-in. Running propane/Natural gas solves 90% of the complaints.

$50 less than Predator, plus dual fuel ($150 to convert yourself). No brainer for me.

I ended up buying a Wen DF475T. $450 direct from Wen, and one of the few generators in that size that has 240v. At that price, it is practically a disposable generator. Added a magnetic drain plug (had to re-tap the threads to make it a little bigger), magnetic dip stick, and run meter.

What really sold me was the weight. I was thinking I could manhandle 200# if I had to (7kW Firman). 100# for the Wen is much easier to deal with.

Don't forget to break in. Consider Lucas Break-in oil. 1 hour no load. Change oil. 1 hour vary load (up to 50%, maybe add in a short peak). Change oil.

The $299 for HF ‘protection plan’ makes it $1000 generator. I’m starting to conclude that’s maybe not where I want to be.
This is a great response set by users. The predater is going back it seems.

Last edited:
Back