diy solar

diy solar

QO vs Homeline

42OhmsPA

What's in a title?
I don't recall seeing a specific topic on this, just discussions in posts so let's start an official thread...

It seems to me the QO is far superior than the Homelime in the 10 minutes of research I've done.

QO main pros
-Cooper plated bus vs aluminum in the home line.
-Better breakers
-3 phase variants available.

QO negatives
-May not be as easy to source locally from the big box store.
-More expensive.

So why would one choose the Homeline over the QO?

I've only used Homeline but will be switching to QO for the next project paralleling 2 AIOs in a load center.

I always use QO, probably because all the industrial work I did years ago was QO.
Local Home Depot has most sizes in stock, but I also look @ ebay for used QO breakers.
I buy whatever lot is available and sort them out, cost is a fraction of new, and they still work great.

There is not a huge selection, but I bought some QO stuff from my local Lowes. It was right next to the Homeline stuff most folks buy.

I don't recall seeing a specific topic on this, just discussions in posts so let's start an official thread...

It seems to me the QO is far superior than the Homelime in the 10 minutes of research I've done.

QO main pros
-Cooper plated bus vs aluminum in the home line.
-Better breakers
-3 phase variants available.

QO negatives
-May not be as easy to source locally from the big box store.
-More expensive.

So why would one choose the Homeline over the QO?

I've only used Homeline but will be switching to QO for the next project paralleling 2 AIOs in a load center.

You don't need QO in a house.

Homeline is just fine.

QO holds up better in damp environments, which is why we always used it in marine applications.
Another reason I am using it in my system is for continuity of components.
All of my distribution panels will be the same. 240vac, 120v/240vac, 48vdc, and 12vdc.

QO260CP breakers, $25 each on amazon
Q0 125A 12 circuit main lug panel ~$85 at HD.
Edit - cheaper through Zoro
Seems simple enough.

Last edited:
Upgraded the 200 amp SP 5 years ago from Zinsco to Homeline. Homeline was a lot cheaper, easier to source breakers, and will easily outlive me. When youre older the life expectancy of some products plays an important roll in decision making. ;)

Attachments

• Breakers 2.jpg
    Breakers 2.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 15
  • Breakers 3.jpg
    Breakers 3.jpg
    290.6 KB · Views: 15
  • Square D 3  a.jpg
    Square D 3 a.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 15
Upgraded the 200 amp SP 5 years ago from Zinsco to Homeline.
I did the same, I know QO would have been a better choice. But Homeline was good enough and a huge improvement from the Zinsco.

I hope that you saved those Zinsco breakers. They are worth good money.
Now you tell me! I junked that thing full of questionable breakers years ago. Doh

Last edited:
Back