diy solar

diy solar

Upgraded my Exmark gas mowers starting battery to lifepo4.

Crowz

Solar Wizard
The factory battery that came in my Exmark zero turn was pathetically undersized. I don't remember the exact rating but I think it was around 275cca. I have always had problems with it kicking back when trying to start it. The hotter the mower got from use the worse the problem got. To the point at times of not cranking without repeated attempts to get it to spin the motor. I replaced it with a norco nlp9 400cca battery. Sweet results :)

Nocos are nutz! I generally hate their chargers, but a friend who used to work for them gave me a NLP30, 7.8Ah.

Did some cycle testing...

Typical 3C charge:

1714770993717.png
Full charge in under 25 minutes, mostly @ 24A.

~5C discharge:

1714771097453.png

This charger discharges using regenerative charging of the supply battery. The current decrease was due to the supply battery hitting 15.2V and the charger regulating it's output by reducing current, so the -40A discharge tapered to 34A... still... > 4C.

I let it cycle and wasn't paying attention. It still delivered nearly all its capacity at the high C rate.

I have a 500A carbon pile tester that I'm tempted to put on this thing to see what it does... :p

Oh and it didn't cost but $99 off amazon vs $75 for a mower battery from the napa store in town. Win win !

I replaced my motorcycle battery with a lithium battery and had the similar awesome results. Now, I don't even trickle charge it over the winter. The bike can sit for 6 months and fire right up!
My biggest issue was that the battery was so small compared to stock that I had to put some blocking under it so it could reach the battery cables. :)

I got lucky on the mounting part since it didn't use a bracket to mount the original battery just a rubber tie down strap. I just went further out from where they had the strap attached on each end so that made it just right to hold the smaller battery in place.

Back