diy solar

diy solar

EMP Protection

What about a foot of concrete and 4-5 feet of earth? Enough to protect against a solar or nuclear EMP? Or would a cage still be required?
Nope..

The only thing you need to do to protect your equipment from a solar EMP (which shouldn't even be called an EMP), is to unplug from the grid. That's all you need to do. Oh, and maybe have some fire extinguishers to stop your neighbor's home from catching your home on fire when it burns down.

Nuclear EMP and Solar EMP have about as much in common as frogs and sharks.

To protect your equipment from the conductive component of a nuclear EMP, you can either unplug from the grid or install an appropriate surge protector with a nanosecond response time (Siemens FS140)

To protect your equipment from the radiative component of a nuclear EMP, it needs to be inside a Faraday cage. And while it is possible to fabricate a Faraday cage with operating equipment connected to the outside world, it is not financially practical for the average person, and it still isn't as good as a sealed cage.

Nope..

The only thing you need to do to protect your equipment from a solar EMP (which shouldn't even be called an EMP), is to unplug from the grid. That's all you need to do. Oh, and maybe have some fire extinguishers to stop your neighbor's home from catching your home on fire when it burns down.

To protect your equipment from the conductive component of a nuclear EMP, you can either unplug from the grid or install an appropriate surge protector with a nanosecond response time (Siemens FS140)

To protect your equipment from the radiative component of a nuclear EMP, it needs to be inside a Faraday cage. And while it is possible to fabricate a Faraday cage with operating equipment connected to the outside world, it is not financially practical for the average person, and it still isn't as good as a sealed cage.
My day-to-day system is getting Midnight Solar lightening fuse protectors on every line coming in/exiting all buildings and the POE switches are getting DITEK surge arrestors. Connections between buildings will be fiber (conduit already in).

It’s the backup equipment that I trying to figure out how to store…ideally that would be in an ICF bunker with blast doors, but that’s $$$$$ and a few years off. Part of my infrastructure plans but it’s low on the list.

My day-to-day system is getting Midnight Solar lightening fuse protectors on every line coming in/exiting all buildings and the POE switches are getting DITEK surge arrestors. Connections between buildings will be fiber (conduit already in).

It’s the backup equipment that I trying to figure out how to store…ideally that would be in an ICF bunker with blast doors, but that’s $$$$$ and a few years off. Part of my infrastructure plans but it’s low on the list.

Take the backup equipment, put it in a cardboard box and neatly and tightly wrap it with aluminum foil. That will give you about 45db of protection.. If you want more protection, wrap the foil box in a thick plastic bag, then add more foil to the outside. Do NOT let the two layers touch.

Blast doors? If you're worried about the blast from a nuclear weapon, it won't matter how well your backup equipment is stored.

Take the backup equipment, put it in a cardboard box and neatly and tightly wrap it with aluminum foil. That will give you about 45db of protection.. If you want more protection, wrap the foil box in a thick plastic bag, then add more foil to the outside. Do NOT let the two layers touch.

Blast doors? If you're worried about the blast from a nuclear weapon, it won't matter how well your backup equipment is stored.
Like I said, the bunker is low on the list.

I use Army “Priorities of Work” in everything from business to infrastructure. And the last step in that methodology is “continue to improve positions.“

Very large solar flares can destroy everything regardless if it is plugged in or not. There is no protection against something bigger than Carrington. Even a house disconnected from the grid would likely have wires arc, melt and start fires. Large flares create large magnetic fluctuations that will heat metal regardless of whether it is grounded. Similar to how induction heating works.

Pray we never have a direct CME while yoy are alive because it would likely kill 90% of all humans by simply destroying out ability to move energy and thus make food.

Nope..

As a licensed professional electrical engineer, I have to disagree…..if you are saying what I think. An electromagnetic pulse will induce a current in your wires regardless of whether you are connected to grid or not. For large wires it probably won’t be an issue but small wires such as the ones on chips and boards, it will act like a fuse basically and overload and melt. Maybe we are saying the same thing.

I agree with your faraday cage assessment. Would work but not practical.

I have thought long and hard about possibly running a large conductor over top of all my
Equipment and tieing it directly to ground, such as a shield but hanging above the solar panels and the inverter etc . But as you know one shield would not necessarily be enough as possible induction is a function of many variables.

Ideally if you knew it was coming and had some sort of conductive blanket to throw across the equipment and tie to ground, I think this would act best. Not sure if they make such a thing but
It would have to be big enough like a tarp made of conductive material or atleast conductive hatching tied to ground.

Hope that makes sense.

Last edited:
Back