diy solar

diy solar

1/2 Solar production after over voltage #08 notification from Growatt and orange light blinking

Pete in Puerto Rico

Hello, and thank you for looking at my post. I live in Puerto Rico and need this system to help run my kitchen nd some lights
I am using:
- Growatt SPF 3000TL LVM
- 4 Chins 12v 200amp batteries, wired as 2 - 24v btteries
- Eco-Worthy solar combiner box, 6- string
- recently purchsed 4 Canadian Solar 405w panels with Vmp of 31 per panel and 37 voc per panel total - 124vmp / 148voc / 1620watts

So I did a 2 x S2 to the combiner, knowing that my panels are not perfectly alined with the sun, I thought I could get by on the over power issue of being 9 vmp and 3 over on voc. That only worked for 6 hours until I got a #08 issue from the system. I did remove 1 panel and now have 1 -S2 and 1 panel alone.

The issue I have now is the Growatt PV will not go above 640watts regardless how many panels are connected. I also have an orange blinking light that is letting me know there is another issue. Can someone please advise on what to do next? I have contacted Growatt, but no reply yet. Do I need to buy another unit?

Thank you in advance for your time

Pete

I am not understanding your present panel arrangement. Your previous arrangement seem to give you too high of a Voc and caused your over voltage warning and possible damage. You seem to be saying that you have 2 panels (in series) in parallel with 1 panel for a total of 3. This is not a setup that makes sense since your voltage of 2 in series does not match the 1 you parallel with. This would drag down the output you could expect to get.

The orange light may just be a fault that can be cleared once you de-energize everything and then restart. But the panels need to be setup properly.

ETA: By the way you are in the wrong Forum. This one is the market place for selling AIO's and inverters.

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply. I will see about putting this feed in the correct forum. I thought I had done that.

But to answer your uestion, there re only 2 panels in a series. They run to the combiner box. and another panel is also connected to the combiner box by itself. So I am using 2 inputs on the combiner box for the 3 panels. The combiner box has 6 inputs, so this should not over load the system. I have alredy done a hard reset, including disconnecting all the batteries, solar input and utility support.

You do understand that a combiner box is most often simply a means to parallel series connected strings? So if you have 2 in series and only 1 connected in parallel you have an imbalance of string voltages. (2S is twice the voltage of 1S). You need instead 2S2P at your combiner box for a total of 4 panels to ballance. Btw whether your combiner box has 2 inputs or more does not change the maximum it can handle. That is based on string amperage and total amperage.

For further help please list your AIO's PV voltage requirements.

Put each panel individually to the combiner box, you're over-volting your SCC. The VoC maximum limit is a HARD limit, like granite or steel. 3v over and hope it doesn't damage the system isn't a good plan.

- recently purchsed 4 Canadian Solar 405w panels with Vmp of 31 per panel and 37 voc per panel total - 124vmp / 148voc / 1620watts
So 2s2p? I'm confused a bit here. Even at 37 VoC, 2 in series should still be below the voltage limit of 145v so unless you did a 4s string you should be fine.
But to answer your uestion, there re only 2 panels in a series. They run to the combiner box. and another panel is also connected to the combiner box by itself. So I am using 2 inputs on the combiner box for the 3 panels.
Yeah, that combination is not going to work well. Either 2s2p or 3p or 4p, but don't mix & match strings.

#08 issue from the system
That's your battery voltage being too high, not your panels. Double check the 05 (US2), 19, 20, and 21 settings to make sure it doesn't think it's some form of lead acid and realizes it needs the higher voltages. If it thinks the batteries are some sort of flavor of lead acid, the higher voltages of the LFP battery will be mostly empty when the Growatt thinks the battery is full.

Thank you for the reply. I will see about putting this feed in the correct forum. I thought I had done that.
Oops! Hey @upnorthandpersonal or @Supervstech , can one of y'all scoot this thread over please? Thank you!

Thank you for the ffed back. I didn't know about the specifics on the combiner box. That did work. The 3 panels are connected individually. The orange light continues blink thou.
Pete

I am not sure what the blinking orange light signifies since I do not own a Growatt. On my AIO's I have an orange (yellow?) and green light. The yellow blinks when operating in inverter AC out mode and the Green blinks when PV charging is happening. Maybe someone with a Growatt can answer if the orange light blinking is any problem.

Back