diy solar

diy solar

12v DataSafe HX505

Skooliemom

This battery is $100, and will only be used to run a SMAD 12v refrigerator.
My questions are is it safe for inside a vehicle? Any questions I should ask the seller?

No lead-acid batteries are safe to operate on there own within a human-occupied space but you can keep them in a container rated for battery acid spills and ensure that it is vented to the outside. My battery box is under my bed! But is designed for the purpose and completely sealed to the inside.

NB Remember that Hydrogen is lighter than air i.e. vent the top of the battery box, not the bottom.

Edit: Corrected Hydrogen's density!

Last edited:
To clarify, if a lead-acid battery cell shorts or is overcharged you are exposed to two risks:
  1. Electrolysis of the water contained in the electrolyte produces an explosive mix of Hydrogen and Oxygen.
  2. Boiling the electrolyte increases internal pressure, which may cause electrolyte (Sulfuric Acid) leaks through cracks or emergency vents.
Both of these risks can be effectively mitigated by ensuring the battery is contained and vented.

To clarify, if a lead-acid battery cell shorts or is overcharged you are exposed to two risks:
  1. Electrolysis of the water contained in the electrolyte produces an explosive mix of Hydrogen and Oxygen.
  2. Boiling the electrolyte increases internal pressure, which may cause electrolyte (Sulfuric Acid) leaks through cracks or emergency vents.
Both of these risks can be effectively mitigated by ensuring the battery is contained and vented.
Very good advice TicTag. I would add that the vent ducting must always be on a incline or hydrogen pockets can accumulate in the low spots

Note: There is no such thing as a "sealed" Lead Acid battery....They all have vents to release pressure from heat gain, gassing while being charged, and gassing under extreme loads.

diy solar

diy solar
Back