diy solar

diy solar

24 volt

alexv707

Need help figuring out what solar components I need to create my system, The rv is 24 volts and I already have a magnum energy 24 volt 4000 watt inverter, shunt, lithium batteries, auto transfer switch for generator and shore power. I have room for 4 panels. not sure I need 4 or can use 2 200 watt panels. Do I need 24 volt panels or can I use 12 volt panels wired in series? Also what is a descent 24 volt charge controller

not sure I need 4 or can use 2 200 watt panels. Do I need 24 volt panels or can I use 12 volt panels wired in series? Also what is a descent 24 volt charge controller
You can use any setup of panels provided the total voltage is higher than 34 volts and less than the controller voltage limit. 400 watts of panels need a 30 amp rated controller, sugest the Victron 100 30

24 volt panel specification , Vmax power, 37.6, Voc 45.4,,
Thus two in parallel would be suitable.

12v panel specification Vmax power 18.6, Voc 22.8
Connect 2 in series and then connect in parallel with the remaining two in series.

With the 100 volt limit on the controler, a totally series set up would not leave enough margin between total panel voltage and controller limit.
The panel examples used were random selection . There are lots of options including 400 watt and over, solar panels. The more solar the better so carefully consider available space and available panel sizes , for example replacing the 200 watt panels with 250 watt if space permits.
Mike

Back