diy solar

diy solar

24v Boat and Shed (was: Redundant fuses in a circuit.)

SparkyGage

Wasn't sure which category best for question, but, since this is all off-grid, figured I'd check here.

My Scenario: I have a 24v LiFePo battery that I use at home on my shed and the lake with a trolling motor on my sailboat. I am going to put a quick connect, similar to fork lifts, on it so I don't have to keep unbolting the terminals when transferring back and forth. I want to put a 100-150A fuse on the positive side of this cable.

* At the boat, my trolling motor will be attached to buss bars along with a 24v to 12v converter for emergency power (I have a 12v battery for lights and bilge pump) but my trolling motor already has a 50A fuse on it. Likewise the 12v circuit is feeding a fuse block.

*On the shore side I am running (at most) a 2Kwt inverter which also has a fuse.

My experience with cars tells me it is the right thing to do, but I'm not formally trained and want to be sure. SO...is there any reason this is a BAD idea to have a fuse on the battery with all the other fuses in the circuits it will attach to? Any special considerations like maybe put it on the negative, etc?

I've added a diagram of my setup. Project A is completed. Hoping to have B & C completed this Fall.
Sailboat-Shed-System.png

Last edited:
What you have is correct. The fuses purpose is to protect the wiring. Each positive conductor should be protected at its rating. As close to the source as possible.

What you have is correct. The fuses purpose is to protect the wiring. Each positive conductor should be protected at its rating. As close to the source as possible.
First - THANK YOU!
Second - Would you suggest I put the 24v to 12v DC-DC converter close to the battery or to the 12v fuse panel and selector switch? It's about 6' from the battery to the selector switch location.

First - THANK YOU!
Second - Would you suggest I put the 24v to 12v DC-DC converter close to the battery or to the 12v fuse panel and selector switch? It's about 6' from the battery to the selector switch location.
The 24v will travel distance better than the 12v.
But I wouldn't worry too much about 6'.

Back