diy solar

diy solar

4 LG Chem 8.5 Kwh EV Batteries for sale

CuriousJohn

I purchased 4 LG Chem LGX 8.5 kwh batteries from Battery Hookup about last May, with the intent of building a powerwall with them. My plans have changed, and I'd like to see if anyone is interested in them. I paid 935 plus tax and freight shipping at the time. Anyone interested in these for 900 per battery? I would like to sell all 4 in one shot, but I'll sell in pairs if I have to. I live in Springfield Ohio. Local pickup preferred if possible. I am open to offers if I'm out to lunch on the price.

These are 8s4p packs. These are Lithium NMC chemistry. They came from a Ford Mach E I believe and have very low use. Please see the write-up below I included from Battery Hookup's website at the time I purchased them. Lots of details about the batteries.

Here's the content from the original ad on Battery Hookup. Moderator - I hope I'm not violating anything here:

<These modules are made with LG LGX cells. The modules came out of VERY LOW mileage electric vehicles and are testing amazing.
Every module is balanced and ready for you to add your BMS. There is quick access to the busbars on the sides for your balance leads and you can easily solder your balance leads right to the busbars. Main positive and negative connections can be made with regular ring terminals. If you want to convert these into different voltages you can cut the busbars with a dremel although we recommend keeping the module the way it. It's already professionally built and compressed.
Note: For 24v and 48v applications you can charge these up to 4v per cell and stay within inverter range. You will only a lose a little capacity however you will more than triple the cycle life.

There are 32 LG Chem LGX cells in each module in 8s4p configuration.
Module fully charged is 33.6v (4.2v per cell)
Module fully discharged is 22.4v (2.8v per cell)
Module Dimensions: 21" (L) x 14" (W) x 5" (H) - Width includes +/- posts
Module Weight: 86 lbs
Note: These are not Chevy batteries.
>

Attachments

• 1683510080323.jpeg
    1683510080323.jpeg
    351.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 1683510101657.jpeg
    1683510101657.jpeg
    276.4 KB · Views: 23
Have you discovered any straightforward way of taking these packs down to 7s? 8s and 4 volts per cell still puts it out of reach of most all-in-one inverters. There are only a handful of inverters that can accept 32v per module or 64v per 16s pack.

I'm interested, but 8s is a real compromise.

I was under the impression that most 48v inverters would go up to 64v. The ones I have looked at can, but I have not looked to make a comprehensive list. I was planning on running them at 64v, which is almost 80% state of charge. Here's a page that shows how to make lithium batteries go longer. https://batteryuniversity.com/article/bu-808-how-to-prolong-lithium-based-batteries
Running at 80% state of charge should extend cycle life quite a bit. See page if interested.

As for reworking these into a 7s, this video shows how to split the packs without a ton of trouble.
I've seen other videos by David Poz that shows how to take cells once they are out of the pack and combine them. Either way, you're right - you have to go to some extra work if you want to run at 7s.

I thought I recall these being $100/kWh
I know the the 7.9kWh modules were
I bought 3 of them in March of 22.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230711-154321.png
    Screenshot_20230711-154321.png
    166.2 KB · Views: 8
Yes I bought one of the 36v ones as well for an electric golf cart. Perfect for that.

Back