diy solar

diy solar

7.2kW Array Up & Running!

That's no the case at all. There's no "minimum amount of solar per inverter"

But an inverter uses energy just being turned on. This adds up pretty quickly. Over 1kWh per day.

If you don't need the output of two inverters, don't waste the energy to run two inverters.

If you are unsure about only needing one inverter, you could run all you PV into one inverter, call it primary and run it all the time. Then connected the second inverter, but leave it off most of the time unless you need to run a large load.

That's no the case at all. There's no "minimum amount of solar per inverter"

But an inverter uses energy just being turned on. This adds up pretty quickly. Over 1kWh per day.

If you don't need the output of two inverters, don't waste the energy to run two inverters.

If you are unsure about only needing one inverter, you could run all you PV into one inverter, call it primary and run it all the time. Then connected the second inverter, but leave it off most of the time unless you need to run a large load.
Ok. Thanks for clarifying!

From I can understand here, the problem doesn't lie in the amount of power coming from the solar array. It comes from the amount of power drawn from the inverter/battery bank?
Also, I thought there was a minimum threshold on the PV input needed for an inverter to use this power directly. The EG4 has settings that can prioritize the power source (i.e. PV, battery bank, grid, etc). Thoughts on this?

Ok. Thanks for clarifying!

From I can understand here, the problem doesn't lie in the amount of power coming from the solar array. It comes from the amount of power drawn from the inverter/battery bank?
Energy in the battery comes from PV, right?
Also, I thought there was a minimum threshold on the PV input needed for an inverter to use this power directly.
Ok, fair enough. There a minimum voltage level and I'm sure an unpublished minimum watt/amp for the MPPT to function. But this limit is so low, it doesn't come into play the vast majority of the time. And it only relates to the PV input.
The thing to remember is that you don't need PV for the inverter to convert batter power to AC power.

Plenty of people run inverters with only battery and AC connected, no solar. That's what I was recommending for the second, possibly unneeded inverter.
The EG4 has settings that can prioritize the power source (i.e. PV, battery bank, grid, etc). Thoughts on this?
That entirely depends on your use case. I'd prioritize PV first, utility last. But, you haven't defined your use case, desired function, or even if this is grid tied.

Perfect. I will set the priority to PV, battery bank, then back up generator. We don't have "grid" at our camp, only a 12kW Kohler backup generator. This is also a good thing now that I only will be using one inverter.
The thing to remember is that you don't need PV for the inverter to convert batter power to AC power.
Makes perfect sense!

I guess my last issue now is sizing the battery bank to work with one inverter. We know my inverter is the EG4 6000XP. My battery bank consists of (4) LifePower4 100amp batteries.

now that I only will be using one inverter.!
You can use one inverter, but your plan of using 2 inverters is also ok. The only drawback is the inverter itself will consume around 1.2 kWh/day simply be ON.
The advantage is you will have 12 kW of power (up to 24 kW peak) instead of 6 kW.
The thing is, if your load are not huge (less than 6 kW), it's advantageous the use one inverter.
And as your 7.2 kW of solar can input 1 or 2 inverters, the question is not there.

Just get one, for now.
And if later, you decide that you want more. You can spend the money, then. That's the benefit of stackable units. Just make sure that you plan for the possibility of expansion. So that you don't have to redo anything. When or if the time comes.

Back