diy solar

diy solar

AC trunk cable transitions between different roof planes

You need some EZ Solar JB-3 boxes like these.

Attachments

• IMG_20231221_115122740_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231221_115122740_HDR.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20231221_115140376.jpg
    IMG_20231221_115140376.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 7
Ah didn’t know EZ solar had rail junction boxes. That is probably easier to use and more cross compatible with rail types than the E boss hangers.

(if they cost similar to their deck boxes then it’s a question of roof holes for deck box and getting the roof penetrating conduit right in that situation vs bending EMT. It’s quite slow going your first time in both cases)

These things seem to be $45 which is pretty crazy for a plastic box with a seal. So far I like the small cheap waterproof metal or pvc boxes and figure out how to get them attached right to the rail.

These things seem to be $45 which is pretty crazy for a plastic box with a seal. So far I like the small cheap waterproof metal or pvc boxes and figure out how to get them attached right to the rail.
The metal bell boxes are awful for this… I’d suggest buying samples of each and messing with them by hand rather than theorycraft.

The hangers I posted are pretty cheap and I got them on a crazy fire sale (like $1 each). But you have to figure out how to integrate them.

FWIW the EZ solar competes with SolaDeck and E-Boss stuff that cost 2x more (but are fancier). IMO these EZ solar are priced fine for optimizing for installer time since all parts are in one box and at most you need to add weep holes.

Compared with cheap plastic boxes from Home Depot EZ solar are sized properly for DIN accessories which are common in solar. And they come with a rail. You can of course go shopping on your own for a similar DIN rail plastic box.

And FWIW I had all of these in hand for my install. E-boss hanger, EZ solar deck box, conduit clamps to rail, conduit clamps to roof deck, SolaDeck. And I ended up going with EZ solar deck box as the happy medium & returned what I could.

Back