diy solar

diy solar

Add heat sinks to ditch the noisy inverter fan ?

32 volt boater

Solar Enthusiast
I have 2 auto store square wave inverters in the 12 volt side of my system in the boat cabin and they are super noisy. I don't care Efficiency as I make more power then I use so not spending to upgrade.

My 32v side, Flexmax 80 and Outback 32v inverter. That I did not skimp.

Anyway,

1661356082529.png

I can never seem to think of anything first on this forum, has anyone done this and are there any tricks to it ?

I always liked the look of old school electronics better,

1661356337931.png 1661356973497.png

I have one of these fans, motor has weight to it, and super quite. Highly recommend. I use it to keep the solar electronics cabinet cool already.

1661357660958.png

Again I never think of anything first on DIY solar forum, haven't managed to yet, anyone done noisy fan removal by adding heatsinks ?

Last edited:
I was thinking that, can anyone recommend one because there is no real definition of quiet, sellers can write anything online, so who knows what would show up in the mail.

Search Amazon or Google for "quite computer fan"

We don't know the size to be able to help.

What are you powering with the square wave inverters? They may be damaged by the prolonged usage. May be cheaper to replace the inverters than the appliances. There are cheap pure sine inverters out there too. https://reliableinverters.com/. My fans rarely run even in the Houston heat, and they are somewhat quiet while running. Mount fans up and you will have natural convection airflow through the case.

Attachments

• reliable.jpg
    reliable.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I was thinking that, can anyone recommend one because there is no real definition of quiet, sellers can write anything online, so who knows what would show up in the mail.
You'll need to open up the inverter case and get the fan dimensions and voltage/watt ratings.

Anything from Noctua will be quiet. The industrial line are louder than the brown ones.

Otherwise, you're looking at reviews for volume and longevity.
I'd got with Noctua, they've got a proven track record of a long and quiet life.

I finally finally remembered why I bought those cheap ass inverters.

Christmas Lights on the boat for the boat parade like in 2014.

Fun !

1661444673991.png

Back