diy solar

diy solar

Adding third part component on VRM/HA

perryfranz

Hi!
Recently I had added some solar panels to my system and I have bought the Victron MPPT 150/35 instead going again with the EPEVER.
IMG20240510190552.jpegIMG20240512121646.jpegIMG20240512122518.jpeg

Screenshot_2024-05-19-12-49-10-83_bc2aea2f1887607afb8a748e894fe9f8.jpeg

Near me I have a Camper/caravan workshop that sells Victron components and it can give directly warranty repair, support and etc. Unfortunately he install only Victron system and does not make integration with third parts system.
With his help I bought also the Cerbo S GX and smart shunt.

I was able to connect all the Victron components without any problem but now I want to understand how can I connect the other smart components “online”.

I have:
- JK BMS B2A8S20P-Heat
- Sonoff POW elite POWR316D (to monitor the AC loads)
- EPEVER XTRA4415N

The EPEVER and Sonoff are connected via WiFi to their remote control and different app, i can keep this separation but It’s more tidy have everything in one space.
I monitor the production to update my spreadsheet about the “payoff” of the system, on the EPEVER I based all the calculation on the AC production with the data on the display that gives me the total value, on the solar guardian app the data are messy.

I know that many people have connected the Sonoff to HA via “ESPHome”.

I have a raspberry pi3 somewhere in the garage that was gifted to me but I have ever used it.
The knowledge I have about HA or VRM are very little, all the thinks that I have learned about are from YouTube videos but I do not know how to do it.

In your experience what are the steps to understand how those system works to make it possibile to configure all the necessary components and settings by myself?
I was oriented to connect everything with HA based on the raspberry because I do not want to depend from third part servers that someone can disable after few years of use.

I surely need to connect the EPEVER and JK via RS485 but after this step for me it’s the abyss.

Thank you for your help and suggestions.

VRM is not designed to support third party devices that replace Victron devices. If you want to use VRM. You use Victron hardware.

There is no way to connect your EPEVER or Sonoff POW.

The only thing that could be connected is the JK. Most common way is with a UART to USB adapter and the dbus-serialbattery driver: https://github.com/Louisvdw/dbus-serialbattery

Some JK support CAN communication. I'm not aware of the specifics as to whether it will work with Victron CAN or not.

diy solar

diy solar
Back