diy solar

diy solar

Affordable dc breaker or panel for blue sea a series

Altide8

Has anyone found a proper dc breaker besides blue sea. I know most of the dc breakers on amazon are just thermal breakers. I’m looking for decent breakers for my new battery in my van. The blue sea A-series are a good price but the panel for them is pretty expensive. Maybe someone had found another way to mount these breakers?

I should have read twice before I responded......anyway blue seas do not manufacturer their own breakers, those are Carlingswitch A series, builders use these as well

I have been using MidNite Breakers for quite a while now. They market the Carlingswitch series D breaker as the MidNite MNDC, they are not thermal, they are magnetic/hydraulic. They do not heat up. Carlingswitch has been a industrial cornerstone for many years, MidNite also rebadged the Circuit Breaker International din rail breaker as the MNPV breaker, these are also magnetic/hydraulic old ones are polarized, current versions are not

These are a bit pricey, not too bad but on the cheap there is Schneider Electric’s Square D QO Line of breakers,
Please note...only the QO....not the homeline (AC only)
they are marketed for AC but are UL listed for DC up to 48 volts so are appropriate for 12 and 24 volts, the older ones were certified at 72 volts but Schneider recertifications them at 48 volts so probably not so good on a 48 volt system,
Now for a cheap box to put a few in. The Square D QO200, 2 spaces meant as a air conditioner safety cutoff box, it comes with a 2 pole switch which can be removed and replaced by QO breakers....home cheepo $13.00

Most AC breakers weld and burn when exposed to DC, the QO is the only one that is UL certified for DC.

Last edited:

diy solar

diy solar
Back