diy solar

diy solar

Aluminum Battery Wires

hwy17

Anti-Solar Enthusiast
I am enthusiastic about the expanded use of aluminum conductors as we face increasing copper scarcity.

Copper's superior conductivity and flexibility is great, but I believe we should and will begin saving those benefits for where they are necessary, in mobile applications.

We currently co-opt our DC wiring from other mobile applications, welding and marine, where the wires will be subjected to constant movement. But our application is not, it's a stationary installation that needs to be flexible once for installation and will otherwise remain static. Space and weight are not a constraint. It's definitely a good application for aluminum wire.

But does anyone have any idea of what aluminum product already exists that could serve it? I am only really finding THHN and XHHW in 4/0 AL and neither are really as pretty as welding wire. Am I missing any other wire types? When Will got some photos of Tesla charger install in progress they had some nice looking fat aluminum wires in their equipment.

I am enthusiastic about the expanded use of aluminum conductors as we face increasing copper scarcity.

Copper's superior conductivity and flexibility is great, but I believe we should and will begin saving those benefits for where they are necessary, in mobile applications.

We currently co-opt our DC wiring from other mobile applications, welding and marine, where the wires will be subjected to constant movement. But our application is not, it's a stationary installation that needs to be flexible once for installation and will otherwise remain static. Space and weight are not a constraint. It's definitely a good application for aluminum wire.

But does anyone have any idea of what aluminum product already exists that could serve it? I am only really finding THHN and XHHW in 4/0 AL and neither are really as pretty as welding wire. Am I missing any other wire types? When Will got some photos of Tesla charger install in progress they had some nice looking fat aluminum wires in their equipment.

Back before they moved, there was an electrical contractor in the industrial park where my shop is located that specialized in replacing/upgrading residential and light commercial service panels.

This meant that they tossed out a bunch of old panels and short pieces (maybe up to 20') of aluminum wire.

I use the panel enclosures to house wireless equipment at remote sites. Some of the 1/0 XHHW2 wire pieces wound up on my 740 aH FLA battery bank. Rated at 135A@90C, the wire exceeds my design current by a comfortable margin.

Since I don't have a large crimp tool (and can't really justify the expense), I am using mechanical lugs. Only thing I would suggest with this approach is that you tighten all the set screws periodically. Aluminum is pretty soft, and the thermal cycling of day/night in the shed causes the set screws to loosen very slightly over time.

Like you, I have never understood the use of expensive ultra-flexible conductors in a stationary application such as most solar is. It DOES make things nice during the install, but that's all...

And as I am an inveterate "recycler" of useful stuff others toss out, using the reclaimed 1/0 scratches that itch.

Attachments

• batts.jpg
    batts.jpg
    502.5 KB · Views: 10
Nice. I am still working on justifying a decent hydraulic crimper. If I can choose and acquire a nice spool of wire that might get me there. Nassau has 4/0 AL XHHW for $1.10 a foot if you buy 100!

Back