diy solar

diy solar

Basic question

sjordan0228

Hey everyone. I have a small shed I am building out. I have decided on a eg4 6000 for the inverter, eg4 48v 100ah battery and around 1600 watts of solar to start. I will eventually expand batteries and solar.

I went to Home Depot today and bought 12/2 wiring, wall boxes, and receptacles. Where I am confused is the breaker box. I am clueless on what to get here. I don’t need 240, everything I am running will be off of those receptacles I am putting in and a 120v mini split AC.

So do I need a sub panel or a main breaker? I will have no other power coming into this. It’s completely off grid. I saw this at Home Depot. Would this work?

If so what’s the proper way to do this? Hook it directly to this load center, hook it to a 60a breaker? I am assuming I need to get a grounding bar and ground it outside the shed.

Sorry for the ignorant questions. I will have a friend who is a electrician helping but I want to learn :)

There are 2 ways to connect it up, both function the same and require a jumper. There's no picture of the inside so I can't throw together a krappy MSPaint diagram, but you've probably got 2 main lugs in there. Run your hot lead to one lug, then run a jumper between the 2 lugs. That'll get you 120v on every breaker point but NOT 240v so don't go trying to plug in your dryer.

Yes, there'll be a grounding bar and a neutral bar that are hopefully separate bars inside there. Drop a rod or plates in the yard and connect to the ground bar. If there is only 1 bar inside, look at the label and it should list a part number for the grounding bar or insulated neutral bar.

If you can find a picture of the guts I'll run it through Paint for ya and get you a connection diagram.

Eg4 6000 is a 240v split phase inverter. You will need the 240v panel unless there is a setting to put all power into one phase. You can get 120v from either line to neutral.

Eg4 6000 is a 240v split phase inverter. You will need the 240v panel unless there is a setting to put all power into one phase. You can get 120v from either line to neutral.
Oh, even easier then! No jumpers needed, just 1 leg to either lug. I had it in my head that was the 6Kw 120v unit, my bad. ?

Sorry it’s a 6500 not 6000. My bad

There are 2 ways to connect it up, both function the same and require a jumper. There's no picture of the inside so I can't throw together a krappy MSPaint diagram, but you've probably got 2 main lugs in there. Run your hot lead to one lug, then run a jumper between the 2 lugs. That'll get you 120v on every breaker point but NOT 240v so don't go trying to plug in your dryer.

Yes, there'll be a grounding bar and a neutral bar that are hopefully separate bars inside there. Drop a rod or plates in the yard and connect to the ground bar. If there is only 1 bar inside, look at the label and it should list a part number for the grounding bar or insulated neutral bar.

If you can find a picture of the guts I'll run it through Paint for ya and get you a connection diagram.
Awesome thanks. From the inverter to the panel do I need a breaker?

Back