diy solar

diy solar

Battery back up for critical loads?

Zimm

I've had a few houses in the past and got by with my little Honda EU2000 generator (1600watts continuous). The first house (rental) I ran around with an extension cord doing one thing at a time (coffee, check, toaster, check, plug in fridge). Then I got smarter and the next couple houses had reliance controls transfer switches on the critical loads. I have a new house and I'm looking to do the same, but thinking about a battery set up so I don't have to run the Honda outside unless it's absolutely necessary.

Critical loads on new house: 2 Fridges (kitchen/garage), garage door openers (same circuit as fridge 2), outlets in living room (lights, router, modem, LCD TV), in winter the gas furnace can be run. I could also wire up the bedroom/bathroom circuits and leave those off during the day and turn them on at night in order to get ready for bed. Pretty minimal. But until I move in and measure stuff with my kill-a-watt, it's just a guessing game right now. But I like to brain storm and plan ahead.

I figure by skipping all the 240v stuff, dishwasher, garbage disposal, microwave, etc I can get by for a few days "camping" in the house. I'm on city water and sewer and have propane for the cook top and furnace.

Is a server rack battery and inverter set up and decent solution? Or should I up my generator size to say a Honda 7000? A big solar array is further down the planning stages. I'm just trying to get a reliable back up solution to our new house as soon as possible after moving in. I also really don't like going to bed with a gas engine running in the back yard.

Is a server rack battery and inverter set up and decent solution?

Yes , seems like the way to go to me. If you're going for solar sometime in the future, once you've got a battery and an inverter already up and running - you're half way to off grid power

Which inverter and battery were you thinking about?

But that being said ... An inverter and battery set up is going to cost you a good chunk more than just buying a geno . So up to you obviously

What's your budget? For about $2500 you can have 5kWh of battery with around 3kW of power.

Bedrooms and baths use almost no power unless you are running a TV or something (should not be using hair dryers during a power outage :)). LED bulbs are so amazing.

Last edited:

diy solar

diy solar
Back