diy solar

diy solar

Beginner Friendly Installation Questions

shashydhar

I am deciding among the following options for a completely off grid solution. My usage is 10-13kWh on a daily basis from the grid. My aim is not to get off of grid completely. I just want to have a choice of being able to use my own power when needed. Also, I live in CA and I am not going to sell the power to grid (truly off grid)

Battery Option (1) - EG4 LifePower - 3 or 4 batteries in a rack ==> 15-20kWH
Battery Option (2) - EG4 PowerPro Wallmount - only one ==> 14.6kWH

I ideally do not want to deal with a lot of wires and it would be great if the solution asks me to introduce as few wires as possible. But I do like the fact that I can replace batteries individually in a rack. I am guessing that is not possible in a wall mount. But am I overthinking?

Inverter Option (1) - EG4 6000XP
Inverter Option (2) - EG4 18kPV

Which one is more beginner friendly? 6000XP claims things like "Built-In Switch Gear". What is that? Is that a 6000XP only thing or is it available in EG4 18kPV as well? I live in a single family home. Would an 18kPV be an overkill for me when I know that I will never move to complete off grid.

btw, money is not issue. I see that 18kPV is about $3600 extra and that is.... okay if I'm future proofing myself as a result.

Would an 18kPV be an overkill for me when I know that I will never move to complete off grid.
I would probably not do it unless it meets a need
like "Built-In Switch Gear". What is that?
believe that would refer to an ATS built in
do like the fact that I can replace batteries individually in a rack
I’d like that, too
My usage is 10-13kWh on a daily basis from the grid. My aim is not to get off of grid completely. I just want to have a choice of being able to use my own power when needed. Also, I live in CA and I am not going to sell the power to grid (truly off grid)
So does the 6000 meet whatever 120VAC and 240VAC needs you have?
Do you know if you ever exceed 6000W capacity daily in normal use?

Personally, I’d modify “other parts of my life” and reduce your consumption wherever possible and make the 6000 work. Aircon, electric stoves, electric water heaters might be the high-demand items to consider. 20kWh of battery with sunny days will basically let you never use grid power depending on what you configure the device to do, or last through “two” cloudy days if grid is down. Provided you have an appropriate number of panels.

I am deciding among the following options for a completely off grid solution. My usage is 10-13kWh on a daily basis from the grid. My aim is not to get off of grid completely. I just want to have a choice of being able to use my own power when needed. Also, I live in CA and I am not going to sell the power to grid (truly off grid)

Battery Option (1) - EG4 LifePower - 3 or 4 batteries in a rack ==> 15-20kWH
Battery Option (2) - EG4 PowerPro Wallmount - only one ==> 14.6kWH

I ideally do not want to deal with a lot of wires and it would be great if the solution asks me to introduce as few wires as possible. But I do like the fact that I can replace batteries individually in a rack. I am guessing that is not possible in a wall mount. But am I overthinking?

Inverter Option (1) - EG4 6000XP
Inverter Option (2) - EG4 18kPV

Which one is more beginner friendly? 6000XP claims things like "Built-In Switch Gear". What is that? Is that a 6000XP only thing or is it available in EG4 18kPV as well? I live in a single family home. Would an 18kPV be an overkill for me when I know that I will never move to complete off grid.

btw, money is not issue. I see that 18kPV is about $3600 extra and that is.... okay if I'm future proofing myself as a result.

I would buy the Hybrid 18/12 Unit. Take 'beginner friendly' and toss it out the window. You need to understand what you are doing, take your time and learn it. So why the hybrid? Because IMAO you may need it. Assuming you are going to put in a sub-panel and a transfer switch or pass-thru for your 'critical loads' which you want to make 'everything', you can push 50A to that panel from the bigger one. I'd get a rack that holds 6 5KWH batteries if you have a place to put it, it's cheaper / kwh, for the rackmounts, but if you are mounting outside or in a space constrained area you are going to want the wallmount, see Markus's build thread the wallmounts look really nice.

I keep circling back to this. It's about PEAK demand, not how much you use in a day. What is the worst 15 minute load interval you have. Size for 125% of that. But I would probably roll with the bigger unit even if you don't need it. The 12KW is 50A and the unit will push Twice that for a second or two, 25% more than that for 5 minutes maybe. The 18/12 will wire up pretty much the same as the 6000, and if you, say, bought an EV and wanted to charge it, you could put a 24A EVSE (5.6KW) and not cripple it.

If you truly only have 20A or so of sustained peak usage (No HVAC, minimal electric appliances) maybe go smaller. The minute you throw an AC at it unless you are getting happy with a bunch of mini-splits you will be glad you got the bigger unit.

The annoying part is wiring your load panel. You can't just "jack-in" to your existing panel along side the power company.

Back