diy solar

diy solar

Best shading setup

Escuimein

Hi,
I am a long-time follower of the forum but haven't posted much.

I am looking for some guidance for an installation of some Qcell G10+ 365w half cut panels in a shaded environment.
I've never installed panels in a shaded environment, so I am trying to look for a most optimal setup.
As I understand, in a shaded environment it is better to install the panels in parallel as much as possible.

I am installing the system in an apartment that has kind of a concrete roof fascia that resembles a pool.
So, I basically have 3 walls that provide shade to the panels at some point during the day.

One configuration allows me enough space to have 10 panels, the configuration only 9 panels.

From my research I think the 10 solar panel configuration is the most optimal, but I would like to get some feedback from the experts in this forum.

I live in Puerto Rico and most installations use 10 degrees of inclination for a yearlong install.

I can also try to reduce the inclination to 8 degrees in order to reduce the south side shading in the late afternoon.

Here are my configurations with my paint skills:

9 Panels (3 series / 3 parallel) Victron 150/60 MPPT:

1665273453702.png

10 Panels (2 series / 5 parallel) Victron 150/80 MPPT:
1665273503745.png

Attachments

• 9 solar panels shading.png
    9 solar panels shading.png
    173.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 10 solar panels shading.png
    10 solar panels shading.png
    146.5 KB · Views: 2
Hi,
I am a long-time follower of the forum but haven't posted much.

I am looking for some guidance for an installation of some Qcell G10+ 365w half cut panels in a shaded environment.
I've never installed panels in a shaded environment, so I am trying to look for a most optimal setup.
As I understand, in a shaded environment it is better to install the panels in parallel as much as possible.

I am installing the system in an apartment that has kind of a concrete roof fascia that resembles a pool.
So, I basically have 3 walls that provide shade to the panels at some point during the day.

One configuration allows me enough space to have 10 panels, the configuration only 9 panels.

From my research I think the 10 solar panel configuration is the most optimal, but I would like to get some feedback from the experts in this forum.

I live in Puerto Rico and most installations use 10 degrees of inclination for a yearlong install.

I can also try to reduce the inclination to 8 degrees in order to reduce the south side shading in the late afternoon.

Here are my configurations with my paint skills:

9 Panels (3 series / 3 parallel) Victron 150/60 MPPT:

View attachment 115606

10 Panels (2 series / 5 parallel) Victron 150/80 MPPT:
View attachment 115607
I use half-cut panels in a 1S parallel array because of shifting morning shade and it works well, but parallel arrays translate to higher currents and you have a LOT of panels for a parallel array.

I have 3 panels now and can increase to a maximum of 6 with my 3 pairs of 6AWG home run wires.

If the shading pattern you are most concerned about is static and not shifting from panel like mine, you should be able to plan zeros strings to minimize the impact of the shade.

For that many panels, I’m probably consider series strings…

diy solar

diy solar
Back