diy solar

diy solar

Can I use a Renogy DC-DC 50V battery charger to charge a 48V lithium battery?

Urban Refugee

Hey there! I'm stepping into the world of adding an electrical system to my vehicle for traveling. I'm not going to be able to go solar quite yet so charging via the alternator seems the way to go. I've watched many videos but haven't run across one regarding a 48V battery. I know the 50A charger would work for my starter but, I'm not sure about the battery side. I have the the set up that Will did with cart - the SS 3K MPPT and the 48V 100AH battery. Now I'm wondering if I can actually charge this with the alternator? Thanks in advance and any suggestions are welcome!!

can actually charge this with the alternator?
Is the unit the Renogy DCC50S, if so this is for 12v system charging not 48 volts.

Nope. Has to be a 48V charger.
Very few 12v to 48v devices out there. I wanted one to input to my powerstation.

Here's the best I could find, it is a Victron 12 to 48v CONVERTER, not a charger... that works for me with a powerstation, but not for charging a straight 48v battery. For that you need a charger, witha bulk/absorb/float algorithm and voltages.

Oh, nevermind. Here's my thread on 12 to 48v alternator converters.

On the last page are 2 posts, someone finally found a 12v to 48v CHARGER.

Last edited:
Can I use a Renogy DC-DC 50V battery charger to charge a 48V lithium battery?

No. But for onlookers, there are at least two and maybe three versions of the 50A combo unit right now. While none of them will handle 48v at least one of them will step up from 12v to 24v:

>> The battery charger is versatile and can be connected to either 12V or 24V auxiliary batteries. The built-in buck converter module is designed to adapt to different voltage requirements, enabling 12V solar panels to charge 24V batteries at their native voltage and 24V solar panels to charge 12V batteries at their native voltage. - (source).

Although that snippet only talks about the solar input, elsewhere they are explicit that this also applies to vehicle chassis voltage:

>> the 12V starter battery can be utilized to boost the voltage to charge the 24V Housing battery; the 12V starter battery can be utilized to charge the 12V Housing battery -- (source)

Hey there! I'm stepping into the world of adding an electrical system to my vehicle for traveling. I'm not going to be able to go solar quite yet so charging via the alternator seems the way to go. I've watched many videos but haven't run across one regarding a 48V battery. I know the 50A charger would work for my starter but, I'm not sure about the battery side. I have the the set up that Will did with cart - the SS 3K MPPT and the 48V 100AH battery. Now I'm wondering if I can actually charge this with the alternator? Thanks in advance and any suggestions are welcome!!

I'm in the middle of a 48v build for my RV. At this time, I'm not going to implement any charging of the 48v LiFePO4 battery from the tow vehicle's 12v alternator. Victron doesn't make a component for this particular situation. They do make 12-24, but no 12-48. The rest of my system in Victron and I'm not willing to go with another vendor. Plus, I have enough solar that alternator charging hasn't been necessary.

My existing 12v system also does not get any charge from the tow vehicle. Been good like this for four years.

Nope. Has to be a 48V charger.
Very few 12v to 48v devices out there. I wanted one to input to my powerstation.

Here's the best I could find, it is a Victron 12 to 48v CONVERTER, not a charger... that works for me with a powerstation, but not for charging a straight 48v battery. For that you need a charger, witha bulk/absorb/float algorithm and voltages.

Oh, nevermind. Here's my thread on 12 to 48v alternator converters.

On the last page are 2 posts, someone finally found a 12v to 48v CHARGER.
bidirectional too, pretty cool unit

diy solar

diy solar
Back