diy solar

diy solar

Can you buy 'empty' travel trailers (ie outer shells, no appliances/cupboards)

jameshowison

Does anyone know if it's possible to buy just the shell of a travel trailer without all the appliances and internal stuff. Think like a Transit/Sprinter van conversion but for a travel trailer. ie starting with a road-worthy, licensed, working trailer and a water-proof shell? Could be either with or without windows. Would be a better starting point than pulling all the crap appliances, undoing all the shite wiring etc.

Will any of the RV manufacturers sell you such a thing?

Does anyone know if it's possible to buy just the shell of a travel trailer without all the appliances and internal stuff. Think like a Transit/Sprinter van conversion but for a travel trailer. ie starting with a road-worthy, licensed, working trailer and a water-proof shell? Could be either with or without windows. Would be a better starting point than pulling all the crap appliances, undoing all the shite wiring etc.

Will any of the RV manufacturers sell you such a thing?
What country are you asking about?

You could start with an enclosed utility trailer. But all the ones I'm familiar with have very large rear doors or a cargo ramp.

Yeah, cargo trailers are options but (and I hope I don't offend people) largly aesthetically displeasing. Hoping for things that look more like Airstream, Casita, rPod, retro trailers.

Buying a new, or used, one and stripping it out is fine, but (for example) then I have to fix holes like RV fridge vents, TV antenna holes, roof mounted AC units, and things underneath, like the connection to the black tank (which looks like it was 'cut' with a hammer :)

Yes, the utility trailers are a bit ugly.

If you troll the Airstream forums, I've seen frame-off projects that got halfway done and then were sold. There was one within the past 15 months on that forum like that. It was an awesome build, with a totally new frame. The guy's girlfriend (fiance?) was involved and things were starting to get put back together. Then she split and he lost interest in the project.

If I was going to gut something, I would start with a toy hauler. Less to remove and more infrastructure (bigger frame, bigger tanks) than a regular trailer.

Back